2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 2)

Imagine being a ‘spiritual leader’ and not understanding the concept that every child is unique and special to their parents. Oh, it’s fine that Alexi has died, because we’ve still got Petrov and Misha…is not how parents think.

16 Likes

Wow, he really knows how to get the crowd all fired up for the cause. /s

He can’t even muster a decent Garibaldi style “I offer only hunger, thirst, forced marches, battles and death.” Just a drippy “your life will be misery and you’re gonna like it short.”

11 Likes
10 Likes
8 Likes

… not a great look for Russia, that their people seem to be desperate for sinks and toilets :thinking:

8 Likes
9 Likes
10 Likes
10 Likes

13 Likes

I’m not expecting the Russians to care; but forfeiting ‘combatant’ status for Geneva Convention purposes is an…interesting…move. Have to keep owning that rules-based international order, I suppose.

Certainly possible that Ukrainian forces will decide to let it slide, for the purposes of POW exchange or at the behest of one or more of their backers; but it wouldn’t be a compliance requirement.

8 Likes

The Russian deputy foreign minister has said that Ukraine must demonstrate “goodwill”. Russia has previously said that as a condition for negotiations Ukraine must recognise Russian sovereignty over all the “annexed” territories, and I imagine that “goodwill” could be code for that.

3h ago14.36 GMT

The Russian state-owned RIA Novosti news agency is reporting that Russia’s deputy foreign minister Andrei Rudenko has said that only Ukraine is holding back the prospect of negotiations. RIA quotes him saying:

There are no preconditions on our part, except for the main condition – for Ukraine to show goodwill.

Rudenko highlighted that Ukraine had passed a law forbidding negotiations, and said: “We have always declared our readiness for such negotiations, which were interrupted through no fault of ours.”

9 Likes
10 Likes

I have the strange suspicion that ‘show goodwill’ looks something like the below.

5 Likes
9 Likes

Yeah, that’s not good.

7 Likes
9 Likes
10 Likes

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1590330122535546880

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1590331123262840832

10m ago13.37 GMT

Russian-installed official in Kherson region dies in car crash – agencies

Kirill Stremousov, the Russian-installed deputy head of Ukraine’s southern Kherson region, has died in a car crash, Russian state news agencies reported.

Stremousov was one of the most prominent public faces of the Russian occupation of Ukraine, pumping out aggressive statements on social media, the latest of which appeared on Wednesday morning.

Tass news agency said the press service for the head of the region had confirmed his death. The exact circumstances were unclear, Reuters reported.

Russia moved to annex Ukraine’s southern Kherson region and three others last month after staging what it called referendums, dismissed as illegal shams by Kyiv and the west.

Stremousov had posted regular video updates on social media, including while in vehicles moving at speed, about the situation on the frontline.

Lately he had been urging civilians to evacuate the western bank of the Dnieper River in the face of a mounting Ukrainian counter-offensive to take back territory captured by Russian forces in the first days of the war.

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1590321118174662656

14 Likes

It’s been bothering me for a while, the specific thing those Solovyev broadcasts directly reminded me of. Now I have it: Prothero from “V for Vendetta”.

[Meant to be in response to @GagHalfrunt’s comment.

9 Likes

Content yes, but Prothero has better delivery and at least pretends he’s getting a positive crowd response, rather than that stock :ru: “keep a straight face and it will all be over soon” look.

8 Likes