2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 2)

At least with an airline you just need air for long enough to descend to 10,000 feet, so you can get by with a poorly-sealed overpressure system

12 Likes

Sure. But even so, plenty of cultures still pressure or even require their men to wear beards, as a sign of manhood. Gillette be damned.

7 Likes

Yevgeny Prigozhin, head of the Wagner mercenary group admitted to recruiting Nyirenda from a Russian jail, saying he chose to fight to “repay (Africa’s) debts” to Russia and “died a hero.”

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/01/25/africa/lemekani-nyirenda-buried-zambia-intl/index.html

12 Likes
12 Likes

The foreign ministry in Moscow also accused Ukraine of submitting a poor application dossier and claimed the vote had been taken “under pressure from the West” while “disregarding the rules of procedure”.

“It was prepared hastily, without respecting the current high standards of Unesco,” Russia’s foreign ministry said.

I wonder why the “poor” dossier was “prepared hastily”.

/s

16 Likes

While firing missiles at Odesa.

9 Likes
10 Likes

I couldn’t immediately dig up the balance of Prigozhin’s statement; but I can only suspect that it wouldn’t take a hardened postcolonial studies enthusiast to describe his understanding of ‘Africa’s debts to Russia’ as “several shades of problematic”…

12 Likes

Notorious anti-vaxxer’s father with supporters of Putin

13 Likes
11 Likes

[helmets on]
Those were the exact reasons I was told while in the Canadian army in the '80s. As far as I know, only two exceptions:

“Pioneers”, aka “sappers” aka “combat engineers” were allowed beards. The reason being they were the first into an area in order to make roads and bridges and other sapper stuff that involved lots of explosives. They also had the coolest ceremonial weapon: a chromed double-ended axe.

Submariners. No reason ever given. I’m not even sure we had a sub at the time.

I’m not sure of how things are now, given the loosening of dress & deportment regs this past summer.
[helmets off]

11 Likes
14 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes
11 Likes
12 Likes

I guess it’s your grandfather’s Oldsmobile.

12 Likes

Seems like a Leopard II would run over it and crush it like an aluminum can.

9 Likes

On the plus side - they qualify for historic plates and a low insurance rate.

27 Likes

Great. I have no doubt that these tanks will be put into service as the war drags on and the Kremlin gets more desperate. I’m sure ramming attacks won’t be far behind. Putin doubtless has as much regard for the lives of T-34 crews as Stalin did.

14 Likes