2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 2)

13 Likes

That video is pretty amazing. That about as “direct hit” as a “direct hit” could be. Laser guided in some way?

10 Likes
11 Likes

They still had 'em when I was at UT Austin, but that was 30+ years ago.

They do have this where I work:

10 Likes

GPS apparently:

The Excalibur projectile uses a jam-resistant internal GPS receiver to update the inertial navigation system, providing precision in-flight guidance and dramatically improving accuracy to less than two meters miss distance regardless of range.

https://asc.army.mil/web/portfolio-item/ammo-excalibur-xm982-m982-and-m982a1-precision-guided-extended-range-projectile/

6 Likes
10 Likes

Re-watching, though, it looks to me like they got the truck but not the missile system. Maybe?

5 Likes

The Tor-M2DT is mounted on an articulated tracked vehicle. I would guess that the operators sit in the front half.

9 Likes
12 Likes
7 Likes
8 Likes

Seymour Hersh is getting some criticism.

16 Likes
8 Likes

No doubt he is, but when the guy who broke the story on My Lai and Abu Gharaib has a major story, I think it’s at least worthy of a hearing.

3 Likes
10 Likes

Waters is “a Putin apologist” as well as “anti-Semitic to your rotten core”

11 Likes

Perhaps.

In this case, he’s got lot of conjecture and paranoid campism, and no evidence.

5 Likes

Simon Jenkins declines to specify exactly which parts of Ukraine Putin should be allowed to keep.

The only sensible way out of this conflict has degenerated to the near unmentionable. It is the re-establishment of some version of the 2021 border arrived at – and accepted by Kyiv and European representatives – under the Minsk agreement after 2014. We know that it proved a dead letter, and was monstrously overridden by Russia’s subsequent invasion. But as in all wars, sooner or later some deal must be reached on the basis of some existing balance of power.

9 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/vladimir-putin-loses-top-general-marking-latest-blow-to-russian-leader-as-his-forces-struggle-to-take-ukraine/ar-AA17dCLL?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=4973ea6791684116a6238ff1ac13c89c

His death marks the tenth confirmed top general to die in Ukraine as Putin’s “special military operation” quickly approaches the one-year mark.

13 Likes

Supporters of Hersh will often point to his earlier stories in defense of his more recent work, saying that we should trust his sources and not dismiss his reporting so easily. Fair enough. But Hersh’s stories on Abu Ghraib or My Lai or Watergate were sourced with documented evidence (in the case of Abu Ghraib, a damning internal military report) and interviews with firsthand participants.

For his bin Laden story, however, he has no documented evidence, and his sources are limited to a couple of “consultants,” one “retired official with knowledge,” and a Pakistani spymaster who left that world 23 years ago. If Hersh still has his once-famous connections in the American intelligence world, they do not show up here.

11 Likes