2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 3)

3 Likes
4 Likes

Leave aside, for the moment, that Russia’s capacity to wage war is not, in fact, limitless, and that at some point it will have to give up its hopeless dream of marching on Kyiv. One can argue that Russia would never take a NATO security guarantee to Ukraine seriously. It is a bad argument, to be sure, but one can make it nonetheless. Having offered it, however, elementary logic would preclude one from advancing the exact opposite contention—that Russia would be so afraid of a NATO security guarantee that it would never abandon its war on Ukraine. Yet, somehow, our scholars find a way to argue both.

8 Likes
5 Likes

Seems pretty obvious to me that the purpose of Orbán’s US visit was to advocate for Vance.

6 Likes

Orbán doesn’t need to do anything to make Trump take a pro-Russian line. The main purpose of his visit was probably shuttle diplomacy between Putin and Trump to agree a “peace” plan.

7 Likes
9 Likes

True, “one purpose” of visit would probably be more accurate.

3 Likes
4 Likes

10 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes

Everyone is giving up… :rage:

5 Likes

I don’t think we can go that far just yet.

2 Likes

It sure seems like it to me, though. Not everyone, of course, but far too many people in power seem perfectly willing to just throw up their hands and let the bastards have whatever they want. It’s true the left just won in france and Labor in the UK, but even there, labor is clearly willing to adopt right wing positions if they think it’ll help them win…

I don’t know… it’s enraging, because what we need right now is fucking solidarity across liberals and the left. We know what happens when liberals go the other way. GERMANY should know better than ANYONE…

7 Likes

That’s a fair assessment, but, at the moment, Starmer is committing to continued support at the EPC summit.

To be fair to Germany it has been disproportionally supporting Ukraine among European countries.

4 Likes

Oh sure, he’s support of Ukrainians… he’s perfectly willing to fuck over trans kids in his own country, though.

I’d assumed it was because they understand the stakes of not doing so.

5 Likes

That’s not the right word. Germany has the largest economy in Europe and its contributions to Ukraine have also been the largest in absolute numbers. But in proportional terms it’s been middle-of-the-road - aid to Ukraine has amounted to 0.36% of German GDP, about median for EU countries and comparable to UK, US and Canada (0.31% each). Disproportional support comes from Estonia (1.55%), Denmark (1.38%), Lithuania (1.22%) and Latvia (1.14%).

11 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes