2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 3)

Looks like Simon Jenkins has some fellow Useful Idiots.

ETA: here’s someone background on the underlying claim for Jenkins’ call for appeasement.

6 Likes

Only one. The other two letters are not friendly to him.

5 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes

SOP with US/international relations. Has been for a long time. As an example Ireland didn’t have the in with Washington that England had in its diplomatic corps but jumped England by sending diplomats along with candidate Clinton. That jump started the peace process behind England’s back and they were not happy.

Other examples pop into mind like candidate Nixon having a back channel into the Paris peace talks and promising South Vietnam … lots of things if they held off on a resolution until he was in power. Also candidate Reagan scuppering hostage talks with Iran for his personal gain. At least the Iranian regime fucked their own selves over there more than anything else.

Anyway, both examples of behaviour that could be considered treasonous but IOKIYAR.

7 Likes

7 Likes

Thank you for that info/reminder, truly.

My sense is that those were much closer to the actual inauguration, though. Except for the Reagan situation, which was vile in so many ways. It really did start us down the slipperiest slope.

To me, there’s something hinky about playing President before the nominating convention has even occurred, no? As we’ve just seen, until then, no one is officially the Party’s candidate.

But it’s probably just my disgust taking over the rational part of my brain.

7 Likes

I get a bit sick in my mouth every time his minions call him “President” Bellend.

He’s a failed candidacy from that. Record losses. Like they haven’t seen before. Yuge.

5 Likes

I see a distinction in that Nixon and Reagan were operating sub rosa, and Clinton wasn’t consorting with the enemy. The Orange Butthole is committing his treason in broad daylight. No shame, like JD Vance fucking a couch.

7 Likes

Around 120,000 Russian soldiers have died fighting in Ukraine since Moscow began its full-scale invasion in February 2022. Analysts estimate that Russia loses 200–250 troops every day, and casualties have increased significantly in recent months. After capturing the city of Avdiivka in February, Russian forces launched a massive offensive all along the front line and opened a new front in the Kharkiv region. The independent journalism cooperative Bereg set out to investigate the cost of this offensive for one brigade known for its particularly high death tolls and the cruelty with which its commanders, who hail from the so-called “Donetsk People’s Republic,” treat their Russian recruits. Journalist Lilia Yapparova also learned about how senior officers extort these soldiers, capturing large sums of money (including the very benefits offered as incitements to serve) in exchange for safer assignments and access to promised compensation.

4 Likes
10 Likes

… well, Reagan getting elected fucked us pretty good too :roll_eyes:

7 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

@gracchus

3 Likes