2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 3)

6 Likes

That’s what I’m hoping. The whole bullshit the other week about Russian nukes being placed in Belarus was simultaneously alarming, and also a bit ‘yeah, right, sure’ because why would Putin put them where Lukashenko had the ability to take control of them?
(Tho, whether they’re usable if they are there by anyone other than the Russians, who knows?)
The whole thing is fucked, and gets more alarming by the day. My ‘why won’t he just die already?’ list is huge, I tell you what

10 Likes
6 Likes

https://kyivindependent.com/unesco-condemns-attack-on-odesas-historic-center/https://kyivindependent.com/unesco-condemns-attack-on-odesas-historic-center/

6 Likes

I would assume @gracchus is right, but Poland is taking no chances. Also, this is a display to stop any thoughts in that direction. Like: hey, we’re not just talking. Take one step on Polish soil and the whole of NATO is ready to bite your balls off. I heard a (translated) quote on Friday (forgot from which polish official) which went basically like: whoever thinks they could cross the border from Belarus to Poland is as good as dead.

However, it is a possibility I wouldn’t rule out that Wagner mercenaries will engage in a provocative way. Ukraine is monitoring the activities by the PMC in Belarus, and while they publicly say that they are prepared for a possible attack in the north and don’t worry too much about it, this would bind forces in a way they won’t like. Poland is showing force also to signal support IF. Which, of course, is a big IF. But I think it would play right into Putins hand if the disowned mercenaries, resident in another state, would attack Polish soldiers. Plausible deniability and all. “An accident, noone wanted that”, even Lukashenko and the Putineska would ventilate. And talk about agents provocateur would muddy the waters further. NATO would be between a rock and a hard place to decide how to proceed further, I think.

This is just my mind’s games, but I definitely don’t like that I can’t say my mind is just overly creative on this. It isn’t plausible right now, but it is a possibility. And I hate it.

There’s something else on mind.
One question I haven’t heard about anything lately: what became of the refugees? Those who were stranded on the Belarussian side of border after Polish pushbacks, closing the border and allowing no journalists and humanitarian aid organisations into the areas?

12 Likes

The refugees still seem to be coming.

3 Likes

Russian officials are cracking down on “turbo-patriots”, volunteers and other “fascist scum”, as claimed in Solovyev’s live show, following the arrest of Girkin. The host of the show says it’s time to “clear this space, only run fundraisers officially”.

This messaging is important as it could be interpreted as a “declaration of war” against all those endless Telegram admins and volunteers who raised funds for the Russian army but allowed themselves to criticise the authorities over the past 1,5 years.

Note that the leaked report names Solovyov’s talk show as a problem because his guests criticise the “authorities”. He needs to distance himself from the “hurrah-patriots” like Girkin by joining in the attacks on them.

Some other key notes from the meeting between the two:

:arrow_right: A record number of western equipment was destroyed. In one day 20 Bradleys and 15 Leopards were destroyed (Putin)
:arrow_right: Foreign fighters suffer heavy losses in Ukraine (Putin)
:arrow_right: The transfer of Ukrainian lands to Poland is unacceptable, if western Ukraine asks for help we will provide it (Lukashenko)

6 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes

Unilever to comply with Russian conscription law if staff called up

[…]

[Unilver] was staying put and continuing its operations in Russia “both to avoid the risk of our business ending up in the hands of the Russian state, either directly or indirectly, and to help protect our people”.

So much for “protect our people”. Not that it was ever anything more than empty words from a multi-national corporation’s HR Culture.

13 Likes

something something Orson Scott Card

11 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

Short thread:

6 Likes

Since Russia killed the grain deal, the Danube ports (Reni, Izmail and Kiliia) have been the only remaining active Ukrainian sea ports because they can be entered via Romanian territorial waters, thus avoiding potential Russian attacks in Ukrainian waters. And they are busy - here’s a view from Marine Traffic showing a lot of ships in the various branches of the Danube delta, and even more awaiting entry along the Romanian Black Sea coast:

Before the war, Reni largely served as the sea freight hub for the neighboring landlocked Moldova, but I assume now Ukraine can’t afford not to use all available port infrastructure for its own exports. Hopefully, Ukraine can keep the ports reasonably protected from air attacks - Russia has no other way to stop shipping there that would not also constitute an act of war against NATO.

10 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes

Dmitri Medvedev greets his fellow edgelord tr0ll.

10 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/russian-inflation-is-raging-at-60-not-the-reported-3-6-thanks-to-the-ruble-s-freefall-top-economist-steve-hanke-says/ar-AA1egyg4?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=0c8f3e83c72f4782b6e68a4f44f044ad&ei=47

Russian inflation is raging at 60%, not the reported 3.6%, thanks to the ruble’s ‘freefall’, top economist Steve Hanke says

10 Likes

Russian prison culture as the key to understanding Russian politics:

9 Likes