2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 3)

I would argue that the notion that women are “sugar and spice and everything nice” is the root of the problem. Women are every bit as ruthless as men are, in the right conditions. It doesn’t take a specific threat of rape in the moment to exhibit that ferocity. It just takes training and equipment.

16 Likes
5 Likes

You would think the Russians would know that. Of course Lyudmila Pavlichenko was Ukrainian.

“Lyudmila Pavlichenko: Gentlemen, I am 25 years old and I have killed 309 fascist invaders by now. Don’t you think, gentlemen, that you have been hiding behind my back for too long?”

10 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

Apple caves to Russia’s ministry of propaganda and censorship.

7 Likes

Does caving to someone under sanctions violate the sanction? That might be a decent threat against Apple if so.

6 Likes

If it sounds too good to be true, it often is. Still funny to report. This is one of those stories that you hope is true.

A Russian channel reports that near Robotyne, Russian troops wanted to carry out an operation ‘behind enemy lines’. Russian soldiers changed into Ukrainian uniform but were spotted by a Russian UAV who probably knew nothing about this. He mistook the Russian group for Ukrainian soldiers who were directly fired upon with artillery. Result, 32 deaths. After this, the Ukrainian troops also unraveled the artillery position of the Russians, which then came under fire. Result, 19 deaths.

The commander who gave the order to carry out the operation has fled and they seem to be looking for him.

8 Likes
8 Likes

The “Manual on International Humanitarian Law for the Armed forces of the Russian Federation”(in translation here) has a couple of not-terribly-complimentary things to say on playing dress-up.

Under the definition of “spies” it notes:

Members of the armed forces engaged in gathering information in the
territory controlled by the adverse party shall not be considered as
spies and shall have the right to the prisoner of war status provided
they were wearing the uniform of their armed forces when captured by
the enemy

“Prohibited methods and means of warfare” includes
• resorting to perfidy;
• making improper use of the international distinctive emblem of the Red Cross (Red Crescent), the international distinctive signs of civil defense and cultural property, the special international sign designating particularly dangerous objects, white flag of truce, and other internationally recognized protective signs and signals, the use of uniforms of the enemy and the distinctive emblem of the United Nations, except as authorized by that Organization

Section 137 under “Tactical Concealment”

1. When organizing and conducting cover and concealment of military
    objectives, it is prohibited:
    • to use international distinctive emblems, signs and signals (Appendix
    1 to this Manual);
    • [to use] the flags, military emblems and uniforms of the enemy, neutral
    states, as well as the distinctive emblem of the United Nations;

I’m obviously not expecting compliance with international humanitarian law here; but it seems worth noting that, if true, this plan had irregularities going well beyond shoddy execution; which probably makes the position of the responsible commander extra awkward since people usually want to see results in exchange for impunity.

9 Likes
9 Likes

:man_shrugging:

10 Likes
9 Likes

Mildronate is the most commercially successful medicine ever developed in Latvia: about ten years ago, its sales provided two-thirds of the turnover of Grindeks (later the company stopped publishing turnover data by product). Mildronate was developed at the Institute of Organic Synthesis in the late 1970s and was initially used to increase the endurance of Soviet soldiers fighting in Afghanistan, which its creator Ivars Kalviņš has repeatedly recounted, for example, on Latvian Radio 4.

6 Likes
6 Likes
8 Likes
10 Likes
7 Likes
5 Likes
9 Likes