21 dead in mass-shooting at Texas elementary school

No shame in that. I had to register my kid for kinder today. I’m frankly very scared

31 Likes

standing ovation applause GIF

16 Likes

Yes, and…
They keep accepting campaign contributions from the NRA.

13 Likes

Speaking of which…

Fucking ghouls.

20 Likes

Yep. One side is politicizing this. The side that wants to do nothing in the face of these tragedies.
Carson advocating for environmental protections wasn’t “politicizing” anything, she was trying to make things safer. For everyone.
Nader advocating for vehicle safety wasn’t “politicizing” anything, he was trying to make things safer. For everyone.
Policies and laws are how we do that, period.

27 Likes

yeah, and unfortunately the original definition is also completely true. having a gun increases the chance of a gun being triggered.

i mean ffs the uk changed their pint glasses because being able to make a weapon out of broken glass escalated the violence and harm caused by bar fights, and the us – texas in particular – wants everyone to carry a gun everywhere. it’s such madness.

15 Likes

I feel you. Both my daughters are adults now, but I remember dropping each of them off at school for the first time.

Being a parent is both the best and worst feeling, often at the same time. I never imagined I could love anyone this much. I try to keep it together in front of my kids, but the minute they walk out that door the worst case scenarios start going through my head. I absolutely hate it.

18 Likes

I have been avoiding commenting on this as it is frankly too horrible to imagine this hapening to my own kids. I just want to go home and give them a hug, and never let go.

O’Rourke is right on everything. The fact that these GOP Monsters can yell at anyone asking or proposing to actually solve the problem as being selfish or political is just too disgusting for words. Yet this happens every time. Do they lack the courage to even listen to the parents?

These parents don’t wan’t empty empathy. They want their children back. And so do the parent of the next victims.

23 Likes

But fate forbid a kid try to say “gay” or read a banned book. GOP will come off the fucking rails for that.

14 Likes

(This might be a bit unorganized but I do need a good therapeutic rant on this).

The modern GOP likes to talk about how liberals are hateful. (usually binging up a Womans right to body automony)

(If this wasnt such a terrible topic I would insert the Princess Bride I do not think you know what the word means gif).

Yet somehow everything seems to be solved by exclusion, othering, and many other forms of hate. (Immigrants, LGBTQIA2S*, Mental Health, Teachers, being a Woman)

They really do love to blame people with Mental Health challenges. Again with the stigmatizing… Well a lot of people have Mental Health challenges in their life. Stigmatizing sure doesnt increase the odds of seeking treatment and won’t fix anything.

But why can’t they ask themselves the important question. If other countries also have people with Mental Health crisis. Why dont they have recurrent mass murders of children?

15 Likes

What we are being asked to do is to just stop trying to protect our children from being straight up murdered.

21 Likes

By someone who wants to “change the conversation” but can’t specify to what.

Are they a metamodernist?

17 Likes

In 2014 Jim Jeffies had a good conversation…

I’m going to say some things that are just facts. In Australia, we had guns. Right up until 1996. In 1996, Australia had the biggest massacre on earth. Still hasn’t been beaten. Now, after that they banned guns. In the 10 years before Port Arthur, there was 10 massacres. Since the gun ban in 1996, there hasn’t been a single massacre since. I don’t know how or why this happened … maybe it was a coincidence, right? Now, please understand, I understand that America and Australia are two vastly different cultures with different people, right? I get it. In Australia we had the biggest massacre on earth and the Australian government went, “That’s it! No more guns!” And we all went, “Yeah, right then, that seems fair enough.” Now, in America you have the Sandy Hook massacre, which little, tiny children died and your government went, “Maybe we’ll get rid of the big guns?” And 50% of you went, “Fuck you, don’t take my guns!”

His conversation repeats itself today.

25 Likes

To bring this back on topic here, my son’s school district sent a link to this today:

Not making me feel better, especially since it starts with:

1. Reassure children that they are safe. Emphasize that schools are very safe.

And further down goes with:

Although there is no absolute guarantee that something bad will never happen, it is important to understand the difference between the possibility of something happening and probability that it will affect you (our school community).

Yeah, I know it’s a low probability. Some how that doesn’t help.
In conclusion

16 Likes

With yesterday’s horrifying elementary school massacre in Uvalde, TX, 2022 has seen 27 mass school shootings to date. Lawmakers have made zero efforts to stop them

We killed 19 children. Two adults.

And if we can’t own up to our responsibility here, we really need to think about what it is like to die. Not now. Not at 38 with a couple of kids. Not at 27 after receiving a well-deserved promotion. Not at 60 while considering retirement. Not at 74 after a long life with the best years yet to come.

Think about what it is like for children to die before they have even learned to read. Think about what it is like for them to die the day they changed their favorite color from pink to yellow. Before they could correctly pronounce their own last name. Before they lost their first tooth. Think about what it’s like to die before they understand that they are alive.

The fear. Someone is yelling. A lot of grownups are yelling. It smells different. Everything is scary. This room they’ve seen for 176 days is suddenly strange. Chairs flipped over, darkness, hiding, breathing. What is going on? Where is Mom? What is that loud sound? Why does this hurt so much? What is happening?

We killed them.

All of us, and we must take responsibility. We killed them with AR-15s because the Second Amendment says we can have one.

26 Likes

Must defend the status quo from dangerous radicals like Beto O’Rourke

18 Likes

Since we seem to be forgetting what happened here… a reminder of the actual impact of this shooting.

33 Likes

That would be infuriating to receive.

Winning the lottery is also a low probability event, yet the possibility affects peoples emotions and decisions.

All of this saying its unlikely, or its the wrong time to talk about it just stops action and lets the status quo continue. It’s essentially helping the GOPs argument.

If the NASP isn’t arguing in parallel that the risk of having your loved ones &@*& murdered in a senseless and preventable way is traumatic and harmful to generations, then they aren’t doing enough.

I work in the Pathology Dept of a Childrens hospital and am exposed to some pretty traumatic things in my life. But this is different. This is preventable. This is scary. This is worse.

18 Likes

Turns out that’s a lot safer than letting everyone have them:

We’ve had more than one mass shooting each day in the US this year. Granted, they weren’t all at schools, but still… it pretty much is just another day in the United States.

The irony is (see above) - we’ve still got more knife homicides in the US in addition to a gun murder rate that’s more than 26 times higher. The UK makes a big deal about a murder rate that we literally don’t even pay attention to in the US, because it’s such a small part.

The really sad part is the 50% didn’t say that - members of one party did. In reality they don’t represent even their own voters, as there’s a lot of gun control measures that are hugely popular, even among gun owners, that can’t get passed because the nature of American politics is so dysfunctional.
https://mobile.twitter.com/UnlawfulEntries/status/1529448201799061507

20 Likes

Abbott said this at his press conference…

“I hate to say this, but there are more people shot every weekend in Chicago than there are in schools in Texas. And we need to realize that people who think that, well maybe if we just implement tougher gun laws, its gonna solve it,” Abbott said. “Chicago and LA and New York disprove that thesis. And so, if you’re looking for a real solution, Chicago teaches that what you’re talking about is not a real solution. Our job is to come up with real solutions that we can implement.”

Illinois Governor took issue…

Illinois Governor JB Pritzker took to Twitter in response to Abbott’s comments, saying, “Shame on you…You are lying about Chicago and what actually perpetuates gun violence. The majority of guns used in Chicago shootings come from states with lax gun laws.”

20 Likes