25c vending machine gives boy cocaine instead of toy

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/08/25c-vending-machine-gives-boy.html

2 Likes

hmm I need to go get some quarters. be right back.

8 Likes

And you thought it was bad to give your kid coffee

11 Likes

Somewhere, someone is extremely upset to discover that their shipment of coke is in fact merely a shipment of silly putty.

29 Likes

There’ll be some Wham-O involved.

10 Likes

“Yeah, that one with the cocaine? That’s totally not ours.”

20 Likes

By “bad rap” she means a lot of sketchy people showing up at the office asking for “silly putty”.

9 Likes

That’s quite a deal.

9 Likes
2 Likes

“Local boys will spend a quarter, just to shine the silver bowl.”

2 Likes

Then again, if police say that it tests positive for cocaine, it could also potentially be just about anything else. What do real labs say?

7 Likes

this was debunked last night.

9 Likes

“False alarm, everyone! It was just heroin.”

11 Likes

A) Who calls the police every time one of their kids’ toys breaks?
B) How bad was the drug test that it not only gave a false positive on the toy stuffing, but on the entire contents of the machine? Is it a ‘test’ that just always reports ‘cocaine’ no matter what it comes into contact with?
C) If the cops get cocaine and baking powder mixed up that often, it’s a good thing they didn’t end up working at a bakery.

8 Likes

The Daily Mail is usually on the receiving end of being debunked. Is there a more credible source?

4 Likes

Local news station:

Bell Gardens police statement:
http://www.uspdhub.com/OnlineBulletin.aspx?BLID=/irhPASSE2DirhPASSuveDsirhmalli

So yeah, this really brings into question just how specific the PD’s “cocaine” tests are…

If I was a local defense lawyer, I’d be thankful for the windfall “So… your test concluded that the substance that my client was in possession of, was in fact cocaine?”

“Yes”

“And just how specific are these tests, I mean, I’m sure the jury has heard by this point of the false positive on the taqueria vending machine toy. Just how frequently do these tests report false positives?”

10 Likes

Yes, of course, how else?

4 Likes

We spent all night, um, testing the samples. Nothing.

3 Likes

How else do you think they can slap a “probably cause” sticker on literally anything they don’t like? They can’t just say they “smelled marijuana” every single time, sometimes there is a handy powder to point at.

They get away with literal murder, and this sort of dirty dealing seems quaint in comparison.

3 Likes

They’re as accurate as any other PD’s drug testing: not at all. Their procedures aren’t intended to discover the truth, they’re intended to provide an excuse to disenfranchise the poor.

7 Likes