2D Art, Images, Doodles, Sketches, Paintings, Diagrams, What-Have-Yous

The detail in the lettuce leaf is really good; too bad you stopped, you have real potential.

12 Likes

Thank you, that’s nice to hear, particularly from a visual artist.

I didn’t mean to imply I had given up — that was “last” as in “most recent” rather than “and never again.” I’m too stubborn to stop completely, while also being too easily distracted to put in the kind of concerted effort that’s required.

9 Likes

Per @HMS Goose - he said should post my post about a new Indie artist I like here:

Check out David Hitchcock. Serious Wrightson vibes with a touch of maybe Gary Gianni? His attention to detail, especially in natural settings. Dark, moody and gothic. I could see him doing something for Allan Moore, especially League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, or Mignola’s Hellboy. Maybe a Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, or Frankenstein adaptation.

He recently did this awesome Shadow Commission for someone and it look fan-fucking-tastic.

I am going to show off his Shadow work, but check out his Facebook and other stuff to see Swamp Thing and Abbey, Poison Ivy, his recent work in Heavy Metal, and several other great works.

I am genuinely surprised he isn’t more well known.

And I found a few other samples.

instagram.com

@davidhitchcock100

The Shadow #theshadow #dccomics #comics

https://twitter.com/dhitchcie?lang=en

facebook.com

David Hitchcock

David Hitchcock is on Facebook. Join Facebook to connect with David Hitchcock and others you may know. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected.

facebook.com

David Hitchcock Artwork

David Hitchcock Artwork. 1,107 likes · 25 talking about this. I’m a freelance artist, former artist/designer in the newspaper industry. I’m currently taking on commission work, individual pieces, art…

4 Likes

Some rabbit studies from National Geographic animal encyclopedia.

16 Likes

Before bed, I’m trying to do something soothing rather than doomscroll-y. last night I popped open flippaclip and banged out this rough Nazi punch. I refined the timing a few times and it came out much better than I thought it would, and ended up with a nice meaty inertia. It certainly felt much better than filling up my dread reserves.

14 Likes

Somehow I’d never heard of Franz Sedlacek before, and am glad this has now been corrected (by Twitter of all places!)

15 Likes

I usually don’t have the patience or presence of mind for drawing from photo references, but I took last week off and managed to get to a calm place…

22 Likes

I know bbs tends to be a place of fine fountain pen connoisseurs, but I have been loyal to my cheap-as-dirt Papermate stick pen forever. Something about the sticky, shitty ink gives jut the right resistance to slow my frantic lines down to a smooth curve. the thick ink also somehow allows a range of line weights in an almost painterly texture. Most everything analog I’ve posted in this thread was drawn with them. So, of course they seem to be discontinued and have disappeared from all the office supply stores. I’ll miss these old friends *department store muzak version of Taps plays…*

15 Likes

My new strategy for avoiding the stress/procrastination trap of social media is to instead image search a random phrase and find my favorite. Today was “Duck Knight” and there were some gems, but the stand-out was on from a Spanish artist Alvaro Pesquera:

His art station site has some other great animal/knight hybrids. https://apesquera.artstation.com/
Here’s his twitter: https://twitter.com/AlvPesquera

8 Likes

A couple of funky maps

10 Likes

Fun with LIDAR. These are all images of real places

13 Likes

We had a full 8 hour “Retreat” (really needs to be a legally protected term) over videochat for our extended leadership team today. It was a slog, but at least over video no one can see you life drawing them…

11 Likes

Any hints as to location?

2 Likes

Indeed! I’ve had some awkward IRL interactions when people notice, lol. Nice drawings, I like the shading work!

3 Likes

These are from two locations in central Missouri. The MO River is visible in the bottom two images. It’s an interesting project I’m working on. My friend is really into the ancient natives of this area – the Adena and Hopewell culture, about 2000 years ago – in particular, how they used alignments for solar and lunar astronomy. He is looking for evidence of old structures such as mounds and “forts” (walled enclosures, not actually used for defense) . LIDAR and LIDAR-based DEMs (digital elevation models) can be used to spot such things. So I’m helping him out in return for a kilo of smoked Canadian bacon. We haven’t found much yet, and I am skeptical. This land has been farmed and grazed and disturbed for 500 years or more. LIDAR works great for finding big ruins in jungles and such, but even a 40-foot mound can vanish in a millennium or two.

6 Likes

Thanks! I got a (deserved) side eye in a meeting once and have tried to be cooler since…

BTW I grew up in downeast Maine, and my family is all still scattered around the state. I’ve seen you mention you’re in Maine. I only mention it because I think that means we’re most likely relatively un-distant cousins of some kind :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha, probably! One of my old pub friends used to joke that his grandfather had headed south to find his grandmother to “add some branches to the family tree” before coming back to settle here. :joy:

2 Likes

Good to know that Hopper didn’t always make paintings that look like he was depressed.

5 Likes

I drew this suave turtle with a cause on the back of an archery supply mailer, but I’m pretty sure Hopper would have gotten around to it eventually

3 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing! We urge you to share some of your artwork images in this thread.

3 Likes