$2m "fentanyl" bust turns out to be big bag of sugar

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/30/2m-fentanyl-bust-turns-ou.html

9 Likes

Suppose next they’re going to ding them for having flour, eggs, milk and vanilla.

“Making cookies” is what the kids are calling it these days.

26 Likes

Still waiting for the lab results to come back on all those bags of cocaine.

15 Likes

From the article:

McIntire and Moore are also charged with maintaining a vehicle or dwelling for the sale of drugs

What kind of a charge/law is this? Without knowing anything else about this, it seems that it’s probably one element of a larger set of tough-on-drugs/crime laws that were passed by lawmakers who want to appear to be tough on drug dealers.

It also seems to be a way for law enforcement/DAs to start proceedings to seize such assets, like houses and cars. This would allow them to procure more toys such as surveillance drones and mobile phone intercept towers.

If this is indeed the case, then I’d like to call on Senator Warren (D-MA) to add such a provision in her recent ‘responsible capitalism’ bill, which will also make it illegal for corporations to use any buildings, fleets of vehicles, etc, to conduct financial and other crimes. That way, the charges can stack up in just the same way they do for other crimes, like what we are seeing here.

24 Likes

If you want the largest seizure in the state, snort all that sugar.

24 Likes

i-fucking-love-baking-cookies

24 Likes

sweet…

3 Likes

6b5a3e39f7dbaa61f464bb874f7f1bd4c2da8b57

9 Likes

And police wonder why they are mocked and hated by critical thinkers

5 Likes

I was offered a bottle of laudanum recently, which I declined. It had an elaborate label, apparently a reproduction of a historical one, with a skull and bones and bold POISON! warning.

I can’t verify the story that was told to me of how this bottle came to exist, but I can relay it here.

In a Deep South US State where police stations are authorized to accept expired and/or unused prescription medications from the community for safe disposal, a pharmacy student buys the unexpired opiates from police officers looking to supplement their income. He chemically separates the opiate fraction from various combination drugs. to create a semi-synthetic laudanum, which he then sells to finance his passage through medical school, as he is not a hereditary member of the medical class and thus unable to afford tuition.

6 Likes

Ed%20McMahon%20Fentanyl

8 Likes

Huh, they announced “one of the largest fentanyl seizures in the state”, based on the marquis reagent turning orange. That seems a bit… hasty.

The drug test stations at festivals don’t even rely on the marquis test alone to give people greater confidence about what they’re considering consuming. They’ll do three or four different reagent tests, and usually get the likely substance down to one or two possibilities based on the intersection of all the results. One test would typically give you a list of half a dozen or more very very dissimilar substances you could have.

There are a lot of things that turn some kind of orange in the marquis test - amphetamine, methamphetamine, aspirin, 25I-NBOMe, DMT, mescaline, modafinil, ritalin… And apparently sucrose and fentanyl.

5 Likes

I am imagining the defendants wondering aloud “Wait, if that’s the sugar then what have we been putting in our coffee every morning?”

16 Likes

Vffz

8 Likes
4 Likes

19 Likes

The people busted aren’t off the hook, as other “drugs” were found.

Possession with intent to distribute oregano, catnip, and a substance the kids are calling, “Pixie Stix.”

10 Likes

Sadly the legal sugar may be more addictive and bad for ones health than the “other” drugs.

9 Likes

Cop chemistry is just the natural evolution of cop math.

11 Likes

1 Like