3-hour cut of Dune

[Read the post]

3 Likes

Me likey!

The Spicediver fanedit ā€˜Alternative Edition Reduxā€™ is my favorite cut of the movie

1 Like

Iā€™m interested in hearing how this one compares to it.

Ideally, Iā€™d watch both, but I have stuff to do.

1 Like

So let me get this straight. He took something that was 189 minutes too long and cut it in with something that was 176 minutes too long and something else that was 137 minutes too long and ended up with something that is 183 minutes too long?

3 Likes

I watched this the other night - thereā€™s a good few scenes which are obviously cut from different formats or lower quality recordings. Iā€™m no aficionado so my knowledge for comparison of various versions is lax - I thoroughly enjoyed watching it though.

One thing - whatā€™s with the weird framerate issue? (I can see the same problem here on my work PC, so I doubt itā€™s an issue with my main desktop at home) Itā€™s not quite a stutter, not quite low framerate, but itā€™s almost as if the framerate is consistently being lowered ever second or so - watch any smooth panning movement and youā€™ll see what I mean. Really took me a while to let my head watch the film without being distracted by the weird movementā€¦

Maybe a sync issue form upscaling 25fps to 30fps on vimeo (numbers pulled from the ether, but you get what Iā€™m trying to say).

2 Likes

Perhaps there is something wrong with me, I love Dune. Sure, it mangled Herbert, but less than his own kid managed to (or he managed to do later in the series, to be honest) Perhaps Dune exists for the rare confluence of Lynch fans, Dune fans, and fans of the best of Dino Delaurentis (Barbarella, and Flash Gordon, naturally).

Very rare is the day when I donā€™t mention that my name is a killing word.

I think next weekend is going to be devoted to copious amounts of spiced beer and super-extended epic cheese.

2 Likes

Watched this last week when it was posted on Digg.
Now if only they would give this the Blade Runner treatment.

1 Like

that guy looks like he does a lot of tantric yoga.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s YWHWZilla thatā€™s a killing word.

1 Like

Apparently one does not simply SCROLL into a Vimeo video. One must watch every second of it from the beginning no matter where the little scroll button is.

F Vimeo.

1 Like

I often have the same problem with other web-based video streamers as well. Sometimes I need to pause and restart a few times to view the bit I want. If that doesnā€™t work, I try to download it and watch it in VLC.

1 Like

I think the production nailed the ā€œlookā€ of Dune, but the story alterations (which are almost always necessary to convert a book into a story that will work as a movie) justā€¦ didnā€™t work for me.

I was hoping that someday there would be a top notch cut - take a superset of footage and then edit it down, not just ā€œa few seconds cutā€ but a serious re-editing of the story itself, effectively creating a new movie. Preferably with custom-made supporting material (though mostly the kind of narrator/voice-over/diagram/screen exposition scenes where the original actors/props/miniatures wouldnā€™t be used even in the original). But I guess without a lot of original cutting-room-floor footage, there just isnā€™t enough footage to work with to make a good re-editing. :frowning:

So people who have seen this new cut - how does it stand as a movie? Is it interesting because itā€™s long, or is it interesting because itā€™s really good?

1 Like

Thatā€™s fair. I always say the Lynch version should be viewed as a supplement to the original book. Love it for the visuals and even the acting, but fill in the actual plot from memory.

1 Like

Waitā€¦

Are you implying that any cut of Dune is too long? If so, why would an alternate version of the same movie bother you?

Salvador Daliā€™s dead, dude. Time to give it a rest.

There are many problems inherent in adapting Dune to the big screen, but if length is one of them it is because itā€™s too short. It would really need to be a Lawrence of Arabia-style film that starts at 11am on a Sunday and runs into early evening.

I had an issue on iPlayer like that a few months ago.

Baleeted. That was disappointing; Iā€™d only made it through an hour before it got the old takedown.

1 Like

Same. I think of it as nice illustrations, but I shouldnā€™t expect anyone who didnā€™t read the book to understand whatā€™s happening. Especially the second half.

Oh the disparity between this and what could have been.

From what I saw of this new cut before it got yanked, itā€™s MUCH easier to follow. As in, almost good for kids (it starts waaay too slow for kids with a bunch of necessary-but-abstract exposition, while Star Wars by contrast launches right into the action).

Anyone have any ideas how to get a copy of the new cut now that itā€™s been pulled? I was quite enjoying it!