3D print a "measuring cube" for cooking

i was just thinking that after i saw the image. i have never seen any recipe that called for 1/5th cup of anything. such a strange volume!

2 Likes

or, you know, just 3D print a scale.

4 Likes

I do hope that the volume of 1/3 and 1/5 accounts for the embossed lettering. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Go to thrift stores and look for mis-matched sets!

Also, donate the ones you don’t need.

3 Likes

This is the only reason some of these things should exist.

As has been mentioned by you and others, there really aren’t food safe 3d FDM (the kind that fuse together plastic to make a larger object) printers. There are food safe plastics availabe, but there is no printer which is food safe in its handling of the plastic. Between the contaminats on the printers surfaces to the thermal changes the hot end puts the plastic through, it’s just not food safe.

Even if you could manage that, you would be left with a slightly porous object in a plastic that is likely to deform under machine washing/sterilzation.

The take away is, cool concept, but don’t actually try to make one and expect it to be of any use–and that’s ignoring all of the other practical problems with it like how do you fill just one little depression.

2 Likes

You fool! Stop everything and launch a measuring-cup exchange platform: measurr or some such, then sell it to Amazon for the user data.

Personally I think the real opportunity here is to educate chefs on how to precisely measure volumes based on different hand postures, and then adjust recipes to match.

3 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/totallynotrobots/

1 Like

There’s also the problem of having the 3d printer calibrated to print it at the correct size in addition to all the other issues brought up (food safety, impracticality, etc.) Mine, for example, is ever so slightly of of whack on one of the axis, so a 5.0 mm cube doesn’t measure 5.0 mm on all three dimensions.

I whole heartedly agree with the concept of having multiple sets of spoon and cups.

I like the concept.
I can see me printing one and have it kicking around.
But I wouldn’t even try to use it for cooking anything.

I HOPE ALL GOES WELL WITH YOU.

WHEN YOU HEAR THIS SOUND. MOVE ONE LEG.

3 Likes

So I am clearly not the only one who thought that was utterly useless. As an art piece for your kitchen it has potential.

1 Like

They make calibration cubes for exactly this purpose. Print a cube, measure it, and tweak the printer settings until it comes out correct. Regardless, a little millimeter here or there isn’t going to change the volumes by that much.

181656-open_office_mouse_original

It was designed by Vox Day too. Presumably it’s failure in the market place was the fault of feminism and cultural marxism.

:+1::rofl:
Subscribed just to see more of this sort of thing:
fybvix7xap901

I am so going to draw this, frame it, and hang it in my bathroom.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.