42 sailors and 5,867 cows feared dead after container ship capsizes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/03/42-sailors-and-5867-cows-fear.html

I just watched several of those crazy YouTube videos about giant waves and “rogue waves” a few weeks ago. Scary stuff, that a giant container ship isn’t safe.

3 Likes

42 crew seems big for a modern vessel. I guess that a bunch of them might have been stockmen. A sad disaster all round. :frowning:

10 Likes

The cows were in containers? That’s evil.

2 Likes

I think that was a mistake on twitter, as it’s not in the actual stories. I’ve removed it from the headline.

5 Likes

OT: So I guess I should read the post.
Veal gets treated that way before butchering.
It’s delicious.

3 Likes

Oh man - how horrible.

1 Like

That is horrible. I’ve been at sea in a hurricane and it is terrifying, even in a large ship. (Much worse in a small trawler, in my experience, but I don’t recommend either).

1 Like
2 Likes

Iman Omivore.

The Wreck of the Edmoond Fitzgerald

4 Likes

I see your Gordon Lightfoot and raise you a Stan Rogers…

1 Like

Undercrewing modern vessels seems to be a thing. A combat vessel of that displacement would have 350 crew.

1 Like

That gets me every time :cry:

1 Like

Same here.

1 Like

That was totally unnecessary. (Uh… any others like that?)

1 Like

1 Like

I saw before/after pics of the Gulf Livestock 1, from when she was a containership to after retrofitted into a livestock ship. Looks like she was doomed the day she left the shipyard. Like, how open are the holds, from top to bottom, deck to bilge, if the ship is fully dedicated to livestock?

Instead of allowing a big wave to bash off of closed containers and drain off, the new permanent superstructure looks like it could easy hold water long enough to fully capsize the ship. Livestock containers have lots of ventilation for the critters. Plus, there are walkways between the containers so the stock tenders can provide feed and water. If the cowtainers fill up with water, the ship will lose stability.

Surprising the international certification bodies hadn’t taken all that into consideration.

1 Like

That got a genuine, belly-shaking, coughing, choking LOL from me. We are bad people.

1 Like