48-year-old mom crushing 'Candy Crush' tournament after accidentally entering

Originally published at: 48-year-old mom crushing 'Candy Crush' tournament after accidentally entering | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Arrested Development GIF

12 Likes

…Rhoden played PvP games when she was younger, where she relished in “demolishing” her opponents for the adrenaline rush. However, she didn’t like the person she became while playing such competitive games. Candy Crush “satisfied her urge to win without feeling like [she was] doing anything to anybody else and causing rage.” In a single-player puzzle game, the only opponent was herself.

It’s rather ironic, then, that she ended up playing competitive Candy Crush…

1 Like

I loathe free to play games where being able to progress is linked to buying powerups. I played Candy Crush for a while years ago (I like matching games) but quickly realized that some higher levels required either luck or a real money power up.

So on the topic at hand I wondered how a tournament works in a game like that:

From the article: But with a pool of $250,000 on the line, she’s thinking about opening her wallet. Paid boosts can significantly improve a player’s outcome

Yep they hold tournaments where you can pay for extra performance. Sound like an insanely unethical push to spend more, and likely from many who can’t afford too. “But this time there is a life changing 250k on the line. I should spend the 100 dollars on a pack of hammers” I suspect they make far more than the prize pot…

Good on the person in this article for stubbornly not paying but it looks like she unfortunately got knocked out of the tournament.

2 Likes

That’s fun. I see you grown-up gamer girl! Good luck on the 250k!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.