5 women caught eye syphilis from same man in first such outbreak

Originally published at: 5 women get eye syphilis from 1 man

4 Likes

Jesus. Horrifying.

12 Likes

Annnd a Happy Monday to you too Carla!

Yikes.

15 Likes

Just consider this the teaser trailer for the 2024 news cycle.

10 Likes

Well, I sure didn’t see that coming.

9 Likes

I believe we’re being led to understand that at least 5 ladies did, however.

9 Likes

Are the writers from House branching out into scripted reality now?

8 Likes

If you had “eye syphilis outbreak” on your 2023 bingo card … I really don’t want to hear what else you have on there.

18 Likes

The five woman could probably bring a class action suit against this guy, although since he had no symptoms he couldn’t be blamed for not knowing he was sick.

1 Like

cocoburn

3 Likes

That territory is already covered in shows about ancestry. Saw this recently, and it described the impact of syphilis before effective treatments were developed. In Martin Freeman’s case, trying to get more information on family members who were blind led to this:

8 Likes

Mr. Common Male Sex Partner.

Sounds like something from a Python sketch.

6 Likes

Police are asking the public to keep their eyes peeled for the suspect; one Mr Xanathar.

As opposed to Mr Lesser Spotted Male Sex Partner.

9 Likes

This suggests an entire hobby built around observing and identifying various species of sex partner.

3 Likes

Ob:

4 Likes

It’s probably called ‘dogging’. But you have to not merely observe to be a true hobbyist.

1 Like

No officer, I’m not a voyeur or a peeping Tom! I’m a member in good standing of the Royal Fornicological Association’s Partner Identification Society!

4 Likes

Here to regulate such behaviour is the Office of the National Association of Fornicological Forums (NAFF-OFF)

2 Likes

Hmm. No, not really. I would recommend anyone with an active sex life to get STI tests at least 4 times a year, more if you have multiple partners. That said, blame makes it sound like a moral judgement – it’s an infection like any other, the only reason there’s stigma associated with it is because it’s “sexually transmitted.” (To put it another way, if this guy had given five people the flu because he went out with all of them, [almost?] no one would be saying he was to be blamed.)

3 Likes

Typhoid Mary would like to enter the conversation.

1 Like