64 years ago today, Dracula hit theaters

Originally published at: 64 years ago today, Dracula hit theaters | Boing Boing

3 Likes
11 Likes
10 Likes

that the modern versions of the characters possess more sex appeal than horror.

6 Likes

Bela Lugosi had only been in the ground for two years or so at the time that movie came out. (Granted, he’d also spent much of the previous two decades in coffins.)

6 Likes

While Hammer’s Dracula: 1972 AD gets all the love for horror in a hippie setting (and it is good), I feel like The Satanic Rites of Dracula, from two years later, gets overlooked. Plus, there’s a spy element to it, too.

8 Likes

I recall liking it, but I didn’t really think it got much love.

3 Likes

“Bring it on, Hoss!”

…including in Clara Bow’s bed-in-a-coffin, if the rumors are to be believed.

3 Likes

In 1970 - two years after first hearing advertisements for it on the radio (WCFL) - Dracula Has Risen From the Grave finally came to the old one screen theater in my tiny Michigan town. I was 13 years old, and my friend Larry and I went to see it. Scared … me … SHITLESS. It was the first vampire movie - or truly scary - movie I had ever seen and I thought I was going to plotz.I wore a scarf around my neck to bed for weeks and was amazed at how I’d never noticed that my closet doors looked just like coffin lids. Christopher Lee (and his friend Peter Cushing) were absolute treasures and I never miss an opportunity to watch their movies.

5 Likes

Have you seen

3 Likes

I see it referenced as a cult classic with lots of stills shown from it. I just think Satanic Rites is actually a lot trippier. They’d make a great double bill!

1 Like

““The Hunger” is an agonizingly bad vampire movie, circling around an exquisitely effective sex scene.” --Roger Ebert

1 Like

As is sometimes the case, the writer of Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is incorrect

3 Likes

I was originally unenthused with The Hunger, but I resaw it, ages after the first viewing, and thought it was mostly great. There’s an awkward shifting of gears between the death of Bowie section and the seduction of Sarandon section, but other than that, I enjoyed it immensely.

2 Likes

del Toro did a vampire movie of sorts

4 Likes

I love that movie, and the Whitley Strieber book on which it’s based.

2 Likes

It’s been like that since Bram Stoker’s Dracula, or more accurately since Polidori’s Vampyre, which was the first to recast the revenant peasants of Balkans folklore as aristocratic Byronic heroes. Another genre trope that can be traced back to that Lake Geneva cabin in the year without a summer.

4 Likes

The voiceover in the Hammer Dracula trailer is Tim Turner, who was the voice of Todd Armstrong in Jason and The Argonauts, and played The Invisible Man in the British 50s tv series.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.