70s fonts back in fashion

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/11/70s-fonts-back-in-fashion.html

5 Likes

Maybe the drugs are just on again.
And people realized they were boring each other to death with “clean design” (and that “clean design” does not have to be some Brutalist form of minimalism)

9 Likes

Possibly the result of somebody completing an archaeological survey of American strip malls.

10 Likes

Still better than this boring shit:

Jinx, but I’m not buying you any coke.

:wink:

15 Likes

With few exceptions, the 1970s were a consumer design wasteland. I don’t know many people my age who look back on the looks of the era they grew up in with anything other than mockery or (in the case of some hipsters) a kind of aesthetic nostalgie de la boue.

8 Likes

Yeah most designs of the 70s are forgettable. The 80s was in some ways worse but not by much. I think the 60s and 90s had some good brand design, though.

1 Like

Soul%20Train

(hides disco lapels behind back) :grimacing:

20 Likes

Well these are better fonts than Comic Sans anyway.

12 Likes

So there’s still hope for village (font)? (as in Patrick McGoohan The Prisoner …font) I always admired the dot-less "i"s. Kill the dot. Kill… the… dot! (crossing our t’s is enough)

5 Likes

Exactly when did they go OUT of fashion?

Ragn

My orange bell bottoms were objectionable? It was the embroidery, right?

8 Likes

What isn’t? (Besides Comic Papyrus, which is the worst of ALL worlds)

7 Likes

I think it’s natural that in a time when people are seriously freaked out by our government, the world situation, climate change, Brexit, etc, that they’d be up for visual style that’s cozy and fun and comfortable rather than cold and utilitarian. I love the Chobani rebrand and like seeing brands and fonts that make me smile.

2 Likes

Hey, I think we should use display fonts for everything now! Make mine 9-point Old English!

I welcome this development. San-serif has had a death grip on “good design” for so long now…

I’m just hoping the the design trend of painting everything white and “charcoal” can relax a bit too. It’s so sad when people buy heritage homes and just paint them entirely black “charcoal.” Can we have some fucking color for crying out loud?

5 Likes

As long as they don’t bring back 70’s hair.

12 Likes

May god have mercy on our souls.

5 Likes

Fuck yes we can.

14 Likes

I thought it was the coke plus the acid plus the quaaludes.

2 Likes

YES! My wife would hate this though haha

1 Like