8-Bit Cinema: great films reimagined as classic video games

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/01/8-bit-cinema-great-films-reim.html

2 Likes

Perhaps it goes without saying, but some of the “nonexistent games” are closer to real games than others. Blade Runner is derived directly from the SNES version of Shadowrun, for instance. (Not that there’s anything at all wrong with that, to be sure.)

5 Likes

An 8-bit adaptation of The Big Lebowski would unquestionably be the spiritual sequel (albeit an anachronistic one) to Toejam & Earl.

2 Likes

While we’re on the topic of Fictional Retro Games Crying Out for a Developer Studio, here’s a perennial candidate, Pirate Baby’s Cabana Street Fight 2006, produced by Paul Robertson:

3 Likes

Honestly, these strike me as sort of lazy in comparison to Pirate Baby. A jumble of different styles, resolutions, and palettes, plundered from original (some quite beautiful) games and thrown together haphazardly, animating in ways they shouldn’t.

I am not the target audience I guess.

1 Like

It’s a blitzkrieg for sure but I read it as more of a tribute to all the real-world game adaptations of then-contemporary films.

That said, the 8-bit mania is starting to grate on me. I will always have a pedestal for NES classics like Super Mario Bros. 3 and I appreciate the passion behind diehard-purist revisits such as 2010’s Megan Man 10. I just don’t romanticize it. If everyone were shooting short, indie films with retro chromatic effects and vignetting, it’d get annoying pretty quickly.

If you grew up with 8-bit, the jump to 16-bit was a revelation. Even then, though, you could imagine 2D games having far more fluidity and fidelity. Back then, a game like Castle Crashers would’ve blown our minds.

I’m fine with revisiting these eras and I know that a lot of developers enjoy working within its constraints because it forces them to focus their creativity on gameplay mechanics. I’d just rather they not lose sight of the possibilities available with the incredible graphics power that we have now.

1 Like

There was a blade runner game.

I just wish that 8-bit mania would include other machines than the NES.

Let’s see who can make something that looks nice with 15 colours and attribute clash.

1 Like

There’s actually a Kill Bill mod for Beats of Rage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYAPEf0jEbo

My favorite comment:

everything bleeds in this game even the furniture

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.