8 writers share their ideas for Star Trek spinoffs

Yep, he shows up in Nemesis in a Starfleet officer’s uniform.

3 Likes

What this should be is an extravagant imagination of what infinite energy, excellent AI, nanobots, and replicators can get you. My least-liked episodes of Deep Space Nine were the ones with ground troops, because they showed so little creativity and understanding.

2 Likes

He grew out of that phase the first time the Traveler said “shutup Wesley.”

3 Likes

Always bugged me that the transporter wasn’t the basis for ALL applications of lethal offensive force. Make that all applications of lethal and non-lethal force: holding patterns in stasis is a much more humane intercession than a phaser stun.

2 Likes

Like Larry Niven’s stasis field. It had so many potential applications that it tended to destroy storylines.

5 Likes

As an Anxious Person ™ I’ve always just wanted Data, Tuvok, and 7 of 9 on a scientific research vessel, just being rational and awesome.
“Our target is here”
“Lay in a course. Engage”
“Let us not make any pit stops or get distracted from our course”
“We are now achieving our objective with maximum effeciency”
“The objective has been achieved”

Considering I use Star Trek to help me sleep, this would be the beeeeest.

11 Likes

Did that make it into the final cut? I remember hearing he had a cameo line or two that got axed.

1 Like

I generally don’t allow myself to remember anything about Nemesis… Damn the interstacks for making this whim possible to indulge:

6 Likes

Interdimensional drifter criminal Wesley would hardly be above wearing a fake uniform to crash a wedding …

8 Likes

Barret delivering a Randallesque: “Bester… Bester… Bester…”

They don’t call him Wesley Crasher for no reason…

(I’ll see myself out.)

3 Likes

I have three ideas, one of which has already been mentioned but it bears repeating.

• Starfleet Corps of Engineers. General purpose starships can handle emergency situations up to a point. But when the job requires building large scale, complicated structures under demanding circumstances, that’s when you call one of the specialized construction vessels of the Starfleet Corps of Engineers like the USS Montgomery Scott.
  • Starfleet Intelligence. Take a deeper dive at what espionage would look like with all the technological advances of the Star Trek universe (both pro-spying and anti-spying.)
  • Department of Temporal Investigations. So far there are a couple of books about this agency introduced in Deep Space Nine. If you expand their mandate a bit, from simply cleaning up the messes caused by time travel involving Federation starships and personnel to being called in as soon as a time travel situation developers to try to avoid the mess by controlling the situation, I think this could be interesting.
4 Likes

Here is an idea so impossibly out there, that they would never in a million years consider doing it: have a Star Trek series that actually manages to go 3 episodes in a row without guest starring or even name dropping a popular character from any of the other Star Trek series. A boy can dream.

2 Likes

I’ve always wondered about the low-level workers of Star Trek.

The fact that the transporter saves a limited-time backup of every person it transports was only touched on a few times in any of the series. This makes sense; there are too many ways it could be abused as a Deus Ex Machina fix for half the problems they come across in the series.

Yes, can’t have deus ex machina on Star Trek, can we? /s

Riker and Bashir could be stranded on an all-male planet where no one is impressed by them.

I lolz’d.

Fashion is a complicated business, wherever people boldly go.

Star Trek: The Fabulous Frontier

Ultimately, of course, since Trek is Trek and humanity needs to end up united, we’d find some allies and lose others, and probably end up with something very Federation-like. But I think there’s something to be said for blowing it all up first.

Well, we know the Federation still exists in the 31st century and subjects people who will supposedly commit crimes in the future to “reeducation”, so sounds like the Temporal Cold War is their War on Terror.

3 Likes

Frantically scanning for the word “Tribbles.”

1 Like

I would love to see a series in which Wesley Crusher escapes from the Mirror/Mirror Universe and tries to make his way in Federation Space. Wil Wheaton wouldn’t even need to shave.

7 Likes

I googled “love will tear us apart in klingon”. No directly relevant results, but I did find a cover version by a Tuvan throat-singing/rock fusion band:

6 Likes

“Ultimately, of course, since Trek is Trek and humanity needs to end up united, we’d find some allies and lose others, and probably end up with something very Federation-like. But I think there’s something to be said for blowing it all up first.” – Elizabeth Bonesteel

So. TrumpTrek, basically.

1 Like

Harry Mudd semi retires to open a bar on Risa.

Kind of half Cheers half Fantasy Island.

Everyone shouts Morn!

11 Likes

Gorn!

7 Likes