8-year-old drummer performs Led Zeppelin

I went with Holy shit!
Followed by: She is friggin’ adorable.

8 Likes

Hey. You would probably know this: does the kick have a trigger on it? Either way, she is incredible.

For me, what elevated it from Holy Shit to Holy Fucking Shit, was the attention to detail:
when she selectively reaches out to silence the cymbals, like a goddam boss.

2 Likes

Can we bring in La Villa Strangiato next? Now that, I’d like to see!

Yeah, that was one of those, “Oh yeah, she’s a pro” moments.

4 Likes

I’d like to do some audio recording of my kids playing instruments. How did they do it in this vid?

First, they have the original song playing, but presumably they mute out the drums and insert the girl’s performance. How is that done?

Second, I can see that many of the drum units (not sure what they’re called individually) have a mic on them. Are these mics going back to a mixing board before getting written to [tape|disk|whatever]? Or what’s the normal practice with recording lots of instruments playing at once? (Assume I know close to nothing!)

Third, and related to the second above, how close should the mics be to the instrument, generally? Is it always the closer the better? And should we rely on the mic’s auto-gain to prevent pegging, or manually turn it way down (because it’s gonna be loud anyway)?

As a guy who’s struggled at a drumset and taken a bunch of lessons, watching this made my jaw drop. Part of me wants to send this to my drummer friends and the other part knows that’s a terrible idea.

3 Likes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/12/eight-year-old-kills-it-drummi.html

Umm… @orenwolf?

1 Like

There is hope

Caught this via social media the other day - she’s simply remarkable AND adorable.
Best thing I’ve seen in a long time.
More like this, internet!!

I sent this to my teenaged son, who is also a drummer, and he framed his response in terms of a new “Law of the Internet” that he has been formulating. Maybe it’s unique, maybe it’s not. (If it is, let’s name it “Ian’s Law”, please.) It goes something like this…

Whatever it is you think you’re good at, there is a tween/teenager in somewhere Asia who is better.

7 Likes

She is amazing. I love her infective joy. What a talent. I ope she´ll have a great carreer as a musician ahead of her.

1 Like

Almost spit out my coffee, thanks.

1 Like

I’m watching it now and it’s still a double kick…two beaters and two feet flying at 2:43, for example.

Not that that takes anything away from her performance…I’m sure she’ll be able to do this song single-pedal by the ripe old age of 11 or so.

Have you heard the crap they call modern pop music?

That looks like the only time she uses both, I’m surprised she did even then with how good her single-foot bounce is (she may have lost momentum on one attempt, but nobody would notice unless they’re really paying attention, and you’d have to watch very carefully many times to know for sure).

Yes I have! Much of it is inventive and thoughtful and fun. But it needs to get off your lawn, we can all respect that.

1 Like

I’m not sure what setup they used in this video, but there are a lot of options depending on your budget and the audio qualities you want to pick up. I’m not a recording or music professional (my brother is and my dad built himself an amateur music recording studio), but here’s my understanding of modern recording technology: a digital interface connected to a computer records multiple inputs simultaneously, such that they can be manipulated individually after recording. Microphones should be selected for the instruments they will be recording and placed as close as is practical and oriented to optimally pick up the target instrument while not picking up too much sound from other instruments (too close and the microphone will be mechanically over-driven, causing distortion that cannot be fixed electronically) unless you find that another location or orientation gives a better tone; set the input gain so that the loudest sound you will get while recording is below clipping.

For a cheaper recording setup, you can use a PA mixer and record single track (but you have to get your levels right before/during recording, you can’t change them after). A used multi-track tape recorder might also be cheaper than the computer setup. Sometimes it’s possible to get reasonable results with a single microphone, but adjusting levels for multiple instruments is much trickier.

This video about Bonham is pretty interesting -

3 Likes