80s classic Remo Williams to be reissued with a 70s-style cover

The 80s in 5 words.

My bigger point is that I love too many moments from 80s movies to pick one single fave.

1 Like

Exactly. I donā€™t know what particular derangement caused Beschizza to so cruelly malign this ā€“ may I say brilliant? ā€“ film, but someone needs to set him straight before I sic my superdogs on him. This was one of those films that you ended up watching 30 times as a kid because it went into heavy rotation on cable and you just never got tired of it.

1 Like

Second best paragraph about Terminator Iā€™ve ever read, man

One day I will stop confusing Remo Williams with Emo Philips. Today is not that day.

1 Like

From when I was a teenager until something like 26 I read the first 100 books in that series - they were quick reads (buy one at the grocery store in the afternoon, be done with it before midnight, usually) and pretty formulaic but for their genre pretty entertaining. The movie, however, didnā€™t do anything that emodied the style or character of the books! Also who in the world chose Joel Grey to play an aging Korean over the many talented Asian actors??

2 Likes

And the best?

Most of the commentators here do not seem to be aware of the original series of novels by Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir. At the time, there were a half dozen similar series with heroes fighting crime. The whole genre was a cliche.

The Destroyer was work for hire. Sapir and Murphy got paid a fixed amount for what was intended as one more cheap knockoff.

Instead, they produced a deliberate parody with items like Cheun, an oriental assassin addicted to US soap operas who actually believed that the soap operas were real life.

The only thing funnier is the number of fans who never got the concept that it WAS a parody.

1 Like

Itā€™s similar to why Hudson Hawk originally failed. Coming in on the tails of Die Hard, people just expected it to be a solid action movie. They didnā€™t realize it was a parody (seriously: Kit Kat?). The stunts and story were so good, that even after watching it, people still didnā€™t get the joke! In reality, itā€™s one of Bruce Willisā€™ best comedies, and one of my favorite movies.

Tip for people who havenā€™t seen it: Watch it with someone who has, and get them to cue it to start for you at this point: Start it when heā€™s being released from prison. It changes the entire feel of the movie. Instead of already knowing whatā€™s going on, you get to find out along with the main character.

That acting dogskunk is so confused.

Also long dead by now.

What took so long to go to Blu-Ray, the seasons move faster.

The back catalog is huge, and thereā€™s no built in case for investing in a cleaned up telecine and buying any additional rights, particularly for a film that failed commercially. Recent films are already digital, and the business plan for these recent films often hinges on making a profit on bluray and dvd sales. Thatā€™s why thereā€™s such a short interval (a month or two, if that) between theatrical and home releases

I looked on my favorite blu ray review site:

Two editions are listed:

Region A : no release date
Region B: July 7 2014

A lot of films Iā€™m interested in seeing are only available in Europe, and while some discs are region free, despite being plastered with BBFC logos, others are not.

For instance, A very long engagement is region locked.

Remo: Chun, youā€™re incredible.
Chun: No! ā€¦ I am better than that.

Watch the whole thing right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-6MTEu6IR4

Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s any more 1980ā€™s movies than the American Ninja series, where a white dude is so well trained in the martial arts he can kick the ass of about twenty other ninjas at the same time.

And then I remember when gymnastics and karate were fused. Gymkata!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.