88-year-old woman survived being lost in the woods by drinking rainwater and befriending a fox

Originally published at: 88-year-old woman survived being lost in the woods by drinking rainwater and befriending a fox - Boing Boing

8 Likes

Obligs:

14 Likes

No word on, um, what the fox said.

“Hey, lady, you dead yet?”

(Foxes are canid carnivores, and they will scavenge.)

13 Likes
8 Likes

She fell, breaking ribs and tearing a lung.

Yikes! :scream:

11 Likes

I’m glad she was rescued and hope she’s doing well.

That’s what I say.

24 Likes

And the fox replies…

16 Likes

… I guess this is a thing

1 Like

… fortunately, she was living in a Ghibli movie

19 Likes

The fox was happy to hang out and see what this strange human was doing out in the woods like that. They are very curious critters, but let’s face it, if the human died, there would be no sense into letting all that meat go to waste! A fox has to eat, you know.

13 Likes

I’m sure you’re right, however I used to walk my dog through a glade that was home to a fox and bobcat and they wouldn’t scavenge. Found hare and rabbit carcasses there that fully desiccated. There were abundant mice there, probably preferred live food.

9 Likes

Had it been a Ghibli movie, she probably wouldn’t’ve torn a lung
jaw

1 Like

“Dessicated” brings up an interesting possibility: according to Red Fox Diet - Scavenging | Wildlife Online , hot dry weather makes it harder to find corpses by scent. (They seem to be citing Does Weather or Site Characteristics Influence the Ability of Scavengers to Locate Food? ).

2 Likes

This is my retirement plan.

7 Likes

That sounds like “casing the joint” in vulpine.

4 Likes

For at least one of the hares it died within sight of the bobcat, who used to hang out on a specific log most of the day. The fox den was also within 2 metres of the hare. There were also two dumped domestic rabbits that died huddled together in the open; nothing touched them. (That made my dog sad)

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.