9-year-old boy discovers 50 reasons why you shouldn't have a pet octopus

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/18/9-year-old-boy-discovers-50-reasons-why-you-shouldnt-have-a-pet-octopus.html

8 Likes

They’ll slip out the back, Jack.
Make a new plan, Stan…

13 Likes

Fifty more reasons not to keep an octopus as a pet. Terrance is also not likely to be around much longer.

10 Likes

I remember when my guppies first had babies. We had to put them in a dish that floated on top of the tank so that no one would eat them. Also the snails that would lay eggs on the sides of the tank. Cool the first time to look through a magnifier to see them, but at some point they are too many snails!

8 Likes

but… but… but…
octopodes are cool!

don’t try to raise octopodes for pets, kids! not cool!

10 Likes

I was glad to see that at the end of his video where he demonstrated the impressive intelligence of his octopus Mark Rober researched where she had come from and released her back into the same area.

Hopefully these little babies will be released in an appropriate location as well.

11 Likes

but where does one release 50 baby octopodes in [checks notes] Edmond, Oklahoma?!!

7 Likes

Having been here I would recommend making the drive to the nearest ocean coastline instead.

4 Likes

Personally, I avoid watching any of these videos since they only financially or otherwise encourage people to cage animals which are not pets not to mention in an inhuman way. If you don’t think people should do something, then play your part by not playing the video so you do not support their behavior at the very least.

5 Likes

Kind of looking forward to the 9 y.o. making a permanent gully washer house for 50 octopodes, their mosses and victims, play enrichment etc. Perhaps he’ll get to 26 or so before trying calamari.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.