Ingenious maker builds underwater maze to entertain his brilliant pet octopus (video)

Originally published at: Man builds underwater maze for his pet octopus

6 Likes

For more fun with octopodes check out octoLab on YT. The maze Rober built was nifty, but there are others out there. If cephalopods lived longer they would rule all of the underwater world.
ETA:
This book is a great read. Gary K. Wolfe Reviews The Mountain in the Sea by Ray Nayler – Locus Online

6 Likes

The octpus is great and I enjoyed the video despite finding Mark Rober very annoying. Recommend using closed captioning and muting the video

2 Likes

I’m primarily glad Sashimi got to go home again, and I hope she didn’t get picked up for another pet store adventure.

5 Likes

I’ll say it.
At the risk of stating the obvious… please consider not eating octopus.

Here’s some interesting inspiration, tested well by other bOINGers here.

I have tried a few of these recipes–all of them reliably delicious–and I’ve been test-driving vegetarian recipes since 1980.

7 Likes

i want to echo @j9c and amplify the message here: please do not eat octopodes! it may be a big ask to some who savor the flesh of these intelligent, beautiful creatures (as i once did), but you can do it. leave it behind.

that being said, naming your “pet” octopus Sashimi is just rude!

11 Likes

Also, don’t hold them captive. How do we know the octopus finds the maze entertaining, and not simply frustrating? If your captor made you jump through hoops every day to earn your breakfast, wouldn’t you be more mad than entertained?

1 Like

… OMG that’s a lot of YouTube Voice :grimacing:

1 Like

This is my pet octopus named Sashimi

that’s not a joke i would make with a super intelligent pet…

3 Likes

Feels seen in both real life and my gaming with my kids….

But yeah, octopodes are off the menu in my house and most of us love seafood including sashimi.

Agreed.

Russell Crowe Gladiator GIF

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.