Octopus unscrews jar from inside

[Permalink]

Not too shocking the octopus figures it out. Apologies for going completely off topic here but what’s with the new format? I had to click on a 2 pixel tall red button that was hiding below the bottom of the frame to comment on this. Also much harder to browse through site topics now. Initial impression is, not all that impressed.

2 Likes

I for one welcome our new locavore organic loathing from the Eldritch Histamines beyond the stars. (It had a scale in its inventory, certainly.) The new format is friendly-looking and I shift-clicked to open the bbs fine (although the running contest to have a working browser v. enabling past fmpub.com/cdn.fm disqus.com/disquscdn googleSixThingsAlreadyPlusTags/doubleclick.net and typekit.?? to see if quantserv, embedly, doubleverify, betrad, scorecardresearch and mediaplex were anything more than tilings of DDR sees no champion hawking lately.)

Yes, welcome the octopuses… onto your dinner plates! They’re delicious!

2 Likes

The guy just didn’t screw the lid tight enough.

4 Likes

Why do they keep putting this poor octopus in a jar?

1 Like

I moved a post to an existing topic: Boing Boing: zine, blog, and back again

I’m sorry, but what you said looks very much like wordsalad to me.

I get the impression that you’re listing off the noScript blacklist. Am I correct?

I came here to voice my, er, constructive criticism about the new format too. It just works so badly with video thumbnails. Why show such a miniscule preview when there’s all that space on the right being taken up by a bombardment of texty clutter?

Don’t get me wrong, I love and support the Boings, and to be fair I always hate the redesigns at first but then come to like them, but I can’t imagine getting used to this one.

And back on topic, holy crap! I’m officially never eating octopus again.

1 Like

Truly, Great Cthlulhu’s chosen, um, organisms, possess a knowledge of eldrich geometries that leaves ordinary vessels unable to contain them.

Just slip a couple of tentacles through one of the dimensions in which the jar doesn’t exist, a quick twist, and out you come!

I was tempted to link to that scene from Oldboy, but that might have come across as a little insensitive. Anyone actually wanting to see an actor eating a live cephalopod can find it on the youtubes easily enough. Great film, but there were a couple of scenes, that included, that I kind of watched through my fingers.

1 Like

I like the end. “Now GTFO. I’m keeping the jar.”

5 Likes

The end of the cylinder was being screwed out from within. Nearly two feet of shining screw projected. Somebody blundered against me, and I narrowly missed being pitched onto the top of the screw. I turned, and as I did so the screw must have come out, for the lid of the cylinder fell upon the gravel with a ringing concussion. I stuck my elbow into the person behind me, and turned my head towards the Thing again. For a moment that circular cavity seemed perfectly black. I had the sunset in my eyes.

I think everyone expected to see a man emerge–possibly something a little unlike us terrestrial men, but in all essentials a man. I know I did. But, looking, I presently saw something stirring within the shadow: greyish billowy movements, one above another, and then two luminous disks–like eyes. Then something resembling a little grey snake, about the thickness of a walking stick, coiled up out of the writhing middle, and wriggled in the air towards me–and then another.

• H.G. Wells: “The War of the Worlds”
1 Like

Discussion on the new design can take place here

1 Like

A far more interesting video might be the poor grad student trying to put the octopus into the aforementioned jar.

3 Likes

This is a new marketing idea being tested by pickle companies. An octopus will be inserted in every pickle jar. When you need a pickle, you shake the jar, waking up the octopus, who opens the lid for you. Then, hey, free octopus.

4 Likes

I’m surprised this is the only comment acknowledging this.

Why do people keep doing evil things to octopi ? And why don’t they take off their watches first.

They go in on their own, Octopi love being in jars, or pot or caves. In the mediterranean an ancient way to fish for them is lower a string of clay jars to the bottom, and pull them up full of octopi!

3 Likes

ia ia cthulhu fhtagn!