$90 million yacht rams dock

Originally published at: $90 million yacht rams dock | Boing Boing

2 Likes

“Computer malfunction.” This kind of crash isn’t usually human error, to be honest. People who captain these things are highly trained, and they don’t leave docking to the newbies.

It was confirmed a computer malfunction on board the mega yacht Go caused the yacht to lose its steering as it was attempting to exit the Simpson Bay Lagoon from its berth at Ile de Sol Marina on Wednesday morning.

12 Likes

“You scratched my anchor!!”

18 Likes
14 Likes

Capri Sun multibillionaire.

Is putting juice in bags instead of boxes really that good an idea??

18 Likes

I’m not sure which is worse: that a computer failure can take out the yacht’s steering, or the possibility that the former Costa Concordia skipper had found a new job.

11 Likes

no but putting sugar water in bags and charging more than juice in boxes apparently was a good idea.

22 Likes

Speed 2.5: Cruise Control Malfunction

8 Likes
10 Likes

6 Likes

I was wondering what was going on, and why it was ramming the dock repeatedly…

9 Likes

Saves on packaging and storage space.

Downside for customers is that puncturing the straw hole thing never works as intended and always results in spraying. So I guess it means more units get sold because of the expected spillage.

3 Likes

What an extremely dull collision. I’m glad no one was hurt; but, I’ve come to expect more from my accidents.

8 Likes

I suppose it’s to much to hope that the stacks of pallets of overpriced artworks on board were destroyed.

4 Likes

ad21

They are going to need a good maritime lawyer.

2 Likes

Your Masters / Mates / Pilots license, wave goodbye. In the event of ship collision, drop the anchor, that stops the ship, just so you know the next time.

8 Likes

This is why you always want to have at least a few superheroes around when your fancy megayacht goes out of control.

9 Likes

Notice the inexpensive, small dinghy at the end is left untouched while superyacht is gashed to shit… LUCKY DUCK !

6 Likes

If the pandemic has one good aspect it’s that I don’t have to see any superyachts in the local harbour anymore. I don’t know why but no display of conspicuous consumption makes me angrier. Probably because I usually don’t see their mansions but a yacht is a mansion parked right in the middle of town.

8 Likes

As an acting-boatswain, from my binge watching multiple seasons of Below Deck Mediterranean, I can say with confidence: if the thrusters fail at that critical moment and the wind is pushing you, there is almost no way to prevent a collision.

3 Likes