96-year-old style icon Iris Apfel gets her own Barbie

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/16/96-year-old-style-icon-iris-ap.html

5 Likes

I assume she was a real-life inspiration for Edna Mode’s character?

2 Likes

I thought Edna Mode was based on Anna Wintour.

It looks like they used Apfel’s glasses and Wintour’s haircut.

I was thinking more or Wintour’s infamously chilly and demanding demeanor. My impression is that Apfel is quite a nice person!

Yes, I’m sure Wintour was definitely a primary inspiration too.

I’m not saying any of you are wrong, but… linda

1 Like

Has to be Edith Head. Not only was she a famous fashion designer for Hollywood (worked a boatload of Hitchcock films), but was contemporaneous with the time portrayed in ‘The Incredibles’.

edithhead

8 Likes

So they’re ripping off Wu-Tang’s idea?

1 Like

Maybe an amalgam of the two.

Regarding @Tamsin_Bailey’s observation about Linda Hunt I do agree that’s probably not a coincidence, but I think it’s more likely that Linda Hunt’s character on NCIS was inspired by Edna Mode than it is that Edna Mode was inspired by Linda Hunt. (As far as I can tell none of Hunt’s previous roles had her looking or acting so much like Edna.)

2 Likes

Somehow I’m thinking that its a geriatric Barbie has something to do with only one doll being produced.

But maybe I’m just cynical…

1 Like

Could be, or it could have been her idea, I guess?

Well, don’t we have good reason to be cynical? :wink:

1 Like

True enough.

*lolz

I could easily be wrong; for all I know it may be their policy to make one of a kind dolls for celebs that aren’t available for purchase.

The first thing that came to mind was the Zendaya-on-the-red-carpet doll, and a cursory query provided no viable results as to whether that doll was mass produced or not.

1 Like

Concur. Eight (!) Acadamy Awards say it’s Edith.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.