A 1920s time capsule, full of historical goodies, was found after slave owner's statue removed

Originally published at: A 1920s time capsule, full of historical goodies, was found after slave owner's statue removed | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Next time read the article. It’s in the first sentence. The time capsule was found inside the slave owner’s statue. Clearly 25 years in local news never taught you to read the works you are criticizing.

It was one of those KKK inspired monuments that were common in the 1920’s when the hate group was at its peak mainstream legitimacy.

Your scripted bigoted trollery is duly noted. Slavery was bad and we still see it’s legacy in the stupid gaslighting arguments and denialism you just posted. .

21 Likes

It has everything to do with why the statue was removed.

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Sheehan-orders-Schuyler-statue-removed-15333701.php

19 Likes

And besides his slave-owning status being historically true – and one does not wish to erase history, does one? – it is relevant in this story because it is explicitly the reason the statue is being removed.

11 Likes

Glad we’ve got that settled.

That’s just it. We do still need to browbeat.

28 Likes

Welcome aboard?

7 Likes

This isn’t a news venue, it’s a blog.

14 Likes

Fixed it.

21 Likes

Slavery was pretty common in the 1800’s as well, right up until all those people fought and died until 1865 when the war ended.

Odd that you didn’t mention that, you being all factual and all?

12 Likes

As someone who also spent some time working in local news myself, I’ve seen a lot lower – usually in service of higher ratings and profits. It’s one of the reasons I left the business.

I don’t know what outlet you work for, but if it wouldn’t acknowledge the reason that the time capsule was discovered in the first place it would be doing a far worse job of journalism than Boing Boing (which, as @Melizmatic pointed out, is not a news outlet).

16 Likes

For a few who couldn’t get help to escape their situation, it went on for years afterward despite the amendment.

15 Likes

I’m gonna guess ‘Stormfront’ or whatever today’s current equivalent is.

16 Likes

Don’t sell yourself short.

13 Likes

True! I think one could argue that certain types of slavery still exist today, but at least as far as official government-sanctioned slavery of African-Americans, it was more than a slight oversight to forget 65 years of the 1800’s.

6 Likes

1619 to 1866, nearly 250 years of brutal enslavement of human beings; ya damn skippy the glib marginalization there seems quite intentional.

On the actual topic:

I’m amazed at how well preserved the contents seem; that was some good sealing on the part of whomever entombed it.

13 Likes

Yes. And . . . for 100 years after that, a different kind of legalized slavery in the form of sharecropping designed to hold people on plantations via legalistic trickery and terroristic violence.

7 Likes

As a Swedish arsehole said (accurately) to an American arsehole on Succession, the U.S. has only been a democracy for the last 50 years.

9 Likes

And even that’s up for debate.

12 Likes

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

4 Likes

Removing a monument to bigotry is not erasing history. Its correcting one that was previously erased.
Banning books and lessons in public school because they mention bigotry is an attempt to erase it.

11 Likes