A 1930 news reel about a nutty weight loss contraption, starring Pesco's grandmother

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/19/a-1930-news-reel-about-a-nutty.html

9 Likes

Depends on who you ask…

Fat’s Waller

Or Louis Prima

Also THIS POST IS WONDERFUL.

11 Likes

More! More!

Craziness!

My grandmother had TWO of the belt-around-the-abdomen shaking machines in the garage when I was a preteen - we were so very very confused as to what it was used for. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

If the “back massager” incidents have taught us anything, it’s don’t pull at that thread…

13 Likes

I would buy one at the jumble sale in a heartbeat.

Which is why I am not allowed to go to the jumble sale. Or the dump.

18 Likes

You know, they like them thin!

There’s a saying about this: “Only a dog likes bones.”

3 Likes

I find myself transfixed by the high trousers and the correspondingly short tie.

3 Likes

Really? I was just diggin them chicks!

Or, more succinctly, “body shaming”.

2 Likes

I hear you, brother.

2 Likes

I was lucky that all my gransparents were alive into my 30s but ever now and then I still find some odd bit about them that I didnt know. Thanks for sharing this!

Perhaps thats not the only reason?

I mean surely I cant be the only one with a restraining order in two states in this regard…

1 Like

A whole bunch of exercisers, posture improvers and whatnot to be found here:

Be forewarned this site may have semi/NSFW links or images.

What a precious video to have of one’s relative, I certainly get a kick out of watching my family’s old 8 mm films.

And the presenter reminds me of Gordon Cole but maybe I’m just a little too excited about Twin Peaks…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.