A 3rd GOP lawmaker trying to restrict drag shows dressed in drag himself as "The Virgin" (unearthed video)

Originally published at: A 3rd GOP lawmaker trying to restrict drag shows dressed in drag himself as "The Virgin" (unearthed video) | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Is this self-loathing, or just shameless punching down to gain & keep power? Why not both?

19 Likes

It is arsehole; arsehole all the way down.

14 Likes

Per usual, these numb nut goopers don’t give a sh!t about drag shows or children or facts. They care only about fingering their base to get donations and get reelected.

8 Likes

That’s easy to say when you aren’t being targeted for imprisonment and “re-education”.

STOP TREATING THIS LIKE IT IS A GAME OR BUSINESS AS USUAL, IT’S A FUCKING EMERGENCY!

15 Likes

Our politicians sure had a different college life than I did. I managed to get through college without wearing black face or dressing in drag but for some reason this just seems to be a right of passage for young republican undergrads.

4 Likes

it is a crisis, but i don’t read @ToMajorTom’s comment as taking this as a game. And fucking with people to get in tight with the base and raise money IS business as usual. Ugly, vicious, business as usual.

10 Likes

You are correct. I didn’t intend to imply “Here we go again. Different day; different idiot. Ho hum.” The reality is, as you said, an emergency. I struggle (like many, I’m sure) to find a path to counteract the bigots. Protests won’t change their minds (or the minds of their constitutes). I can’t vote in Texas; I don’t live there. I can’t control the GOP house majority. The Supreme Court is compromised. I’m not saying the cause is completely hopeless…but it’s definitely an uphill (a very steep and tall hill) battle.

4 Likes

For the last six years Republicans have been grabbing hold of third rails, and finding out that Democrats haven’t electrified them. You are looking at a dictatorship, trans people, cis women and POC are looking at something far worse.

This is not business as usual. I don’t care about their motivations, they would happily torture and kill me no matter what they are.

11 Likes

Same sort of thing that drives the ex-gay movement. They see drag as a shameful sexualized compulsion, and can’t bear the thought of it being something joyful.

2 Likes

3JUVZqV0stfJv1PfpniPNa3XY5tW9TWGX_EIwTHS5_A
Ronald Reagan is twirling in his grave over the Grand Old Party’s vilification of Drag Shows.

4 Likes

@the_borderer is spot on.

The rule of goats applies. It doesn’t matter if they are committing genocide ironically. It’s still genocide.

There are great resources on being an effective ally. Mostly, help protect those in the line of fire; especially those close to you. Don’t shy away from confrontation if you encounter someone in your demographic group who is pushing transphobic crap - push back. That is more likely to affect their thinking than a third-party source. And if it doesn’t change their minds, it might at least get them to STFU.

11 Likes

It DOESN’T MATTER. I think it’s highly likely at least some of the Nazi leadership did not believe the antisemitic BS they were pumping out… and 6 million Jews were killed even so… Stop dismissing this shit. As @the_borderer says, this is an emergency with lives on the line. Stop downplaying the severity of this!!!

Might not be his intent, but his comment sure came off as such…

mood GIF

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 Likes

One of these is okay and one is not. I’m not sure we should conflate them.

7 Likes

True. But I just find it weird that so many of them have done this.

2 Likes

In this case the answer is yes, conflate them; it’s the Republican way of punching down. They only do this to dehumanize those others, people of color and differently gendered individuals.

2 Likes

Drag is not just something that cis-gendered people do to mock trans people… it’s a long-standing queer tradition that we shouldn’t let reactionaries appropriate. Blackface is nothing like that and was very much white people punching down.

We really need to stop letting reactionaries dictate terms, and we most especially should not let them appropriate drag. Fuck that noise.

7 Likes

Good points, as ever, @Mindysan33; thanks for making them. :+1:

3 Likes

rupauls drag race all stars season 3 thumbs up GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

Drag in the modern era has always been an act of resistance to gender norms. Some right wing shitheads trying to appropriate it doesn’t change that. But Blackface has always been about reinforcing white supremacy…

3 Likes

What movie is that from?

1 Like