A 45-year-old man arrested for allegedly threatening to shoot an 11-year-old boy who beat him in Fortnite

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/19/a-45-year-old-man-arrested-for.html

5 Likes

Jesus dude, it’s a game. If you aren’t having fun, stop playing.

Wait… where does @jlw live? He doesn’t post under a pen name does he? :wink:

4 Likes

had been playing Fortnight

Heads up.

1 Like

Ludere Causa Ludendi shouldn’t just be Queens Park FC’s motto.

2 Likes

I dunno, should we pass the hat so some of these guys can overcome the stereotype that has man-children living under their parents’ roof? /s

1 Like

I can’t wait for someone to be arrested banging on someone else’s house to farm for materials.

3 Likes

Man, you almost finished off the thread on the first line of the first post!

Good save with that second line.

1 Like

I play Overwatch, which likely is more rage inducing than Fortnite and i’ve learned that when i’m not having fun to just shut up, not take it out on anyone and if necessary to just close the game and go do something else. But then again these common sense things aren’t exactly common.

6 Likes

So, I thought the game plopped you into a random melee of 100 people from across the world who happened to be logged in to the same server. How did these two happen to be playing against one another for several weeks? And aren’t you really playing against 99 other people, each man for himself? I can’t imagine how they were able to play consistently “against” one another.

Its likely that they’ve been matched with each other cooperatively multiple times before, and against each other, if they both happen to be playing a lot during certain times.

When i play Overwatch i actually recognize players if they play a lot the times i’m on. I would guess that’s what happened here, they probably chatted a little bit when paired before and when the kid beat him recently he raged.

2 Likes

It’s unfortunate the world is this way. I love online games, but I won’t let my kids near 'em until their own moral compasses are well-hardened. Online games are full of profanity, racism, sexism, and other horrible experiences - especially games with user-provided audio. There’s a lot of fun happy people to play with too, but you run into awfulness too often.

2 Likes

I actively avoid interacting with people in online games, honestly i don’t know how i’ve kept a circle of online friends because of how much i avoid other gamers. And depending on what games you play random people can be really toxic, case in point i recently played with a friend from the UK and she was already grouped with 2 randos. While she’s gone i’m chatting them up and i come to find out one was a Nazi sympathizer, and the other worked in education and was pretty right leaning and was a homophobe/anti-trans/LGBT. They were both quite pleasant on chat with me but it really made me want to leave the game, i only stuck around because of my friend (i didn’t have the heart to tell her that the guys she’d been playing with were garbage people, though i eventually did afterwards)

6 Likes

You know, I avoid these multiplayer games like the plague, because, amongst other reasons, I don’t want to suffer through a bunch of 11-year-olds threatening to kill me. It never occurred to me it might be the other way around.

5 Likes

I’d say it’s the same for me, except that I got caught in Marvel’s Contest of Champions some time back.

The caveat is that I always keep “global chat” turned off and have my volume on permamute; so all the toxicity and potential harassment misses me.

5 Likes

It’s strange, but I play online multiplayer games, sometimes intentionally with nasty people.

I figure it’s the only way I’ll ever get to know them. I grew up under some odd circumstances that left me very curious when it comes to human behavior.

What I learn online, mostly, is about the drive to mess with people you don’t know. It’s like the casual-sex version of an argument, and all these these people have social STDs.

The beauty is that, unlike the real world, I can remove myself from the presence of these sadists once I can’t take it anymore.

My need to understand people aside, some of the most deplorable behavior I’ve ever witnessed has been online. Maybe that’s partly because the impersonal nature of online games attracts these types.

Anyway, those of you who are protecting your kids from this stuff get the most earnest-est of high-fives ever.

3 Likes

I used to play World of Warcraft until it stopped being fun; while I had a couple charecters on PvP servers, it was a ‘something to do because the PvE server I normally reside on is down’, because the very few times I did PvP, it was absolutely zero fun getting killed every couple minutes because some rando was going through and clearing out the noob areas for no other reason than being a dick.

I went PvE and never looked back. Except when my normal server was down. :slight_smile:

I’ve been asked a number of times to try fortnight; At this point, I’m tempted to say ‘fortnight? fort naught!’

2 Likes

Yeah, I could see that working well for games with pure one-on-one play. (I still tend to think of “game chat” as un-mutable text chat.) Any game that has any sort of group play makes that difficult to impossible I’d think, though.
Also, I guess I don’t fancy spending a lot of time with 11-year-olds (actual or mental ages). Even if I can’t hear them, I sense them out there…

3 Likes

MCOC isn’t exactly set up that way; there are alliances and group battles and wars, just not all on the same screen simultaneously.

Word, though I’d never know if I was playing against a kid or not, given that I tune everyone out and just listen to music.

The one exception is the one time when my kid found she has a friend that plays the game too; and when she told him my screen name, the kid was like;

That’s your mom? I dueled her once, and she kicked my ass!”

6 Likes

There is no co-op for Fortnite. It is a everyone for themselves deathmatch.

1 Like

I dunno if you were cracking a joke or not, but just in case. There is co-op, you can play duos, squads (4 people) or 50v50. A good number of people like to play with friends but its just as common for people to pair up with complete randos.

1 Like