A beginner's guide to hammers

Come to think of it, these hammers are also more common as the typical Japanese household hammer.

Maybe it’s got to do with Germany’s historical tradition and reputation for fine woodworking (e.g. cuckoo clocks)?

But at least nominally that’s a metalworking hammer and most people don’t do much of that at home.

Hm, interesting. It seems like the ‘upholstery hammer’ I posted above would likely fall into the same category as the one you posted (engineering hammer), but it’s obviously intended for woodworking.

I can imagine the German sense of humour enjoying a joke based around the idea that Germans have engineers hammers at home because they never make mistakes, while Americans have claw hammers at home because they will make mistakes.

Also… Merkel is pretty good as a part-time comedian:

Sadly no, but hey some of us do. And some of us do enough to make our own hammers! (4140 2# square face offset hammer)

3 Likes

Have they even looked at their own site in a browser?

That looks a bit more impressive:

Oh, wait… it’s a tiny house:

1 Like

Well, you probably don’t want to know how many screwdrivers I own, too.

Now that I think about it, do my three nail guns count as “hammers” for these purposes, too?

1 Like

No mention yet of the gavel and other ceremonial hammers?

Then there’s my appropriately named German grammar book, which could probably fill in for a mallet:

Also:

1 Like

To a man with a hammer, everything looks all elongated and squashed to the right…

1 Like

Less drywalling and wood in favor of stone? While drywalling in private homes has gained considerably during the last decades (I think), so have electric staplers. No clawing here. And if you want to have the detachable, you use screws anyway.

Same thing. If you want to fix something to the wall, even if it’s a frame, it’s usually easier and better to use a drill and a screw anchor. In the rare cases you hammer a nail and want to get it out, you grab a pincer.

The claw hammer is primarily known as a Zimmermannshammer, roughly a “carpenter’s hammer”. All the others worker on a building site get more use of the engineer’s hammer, which can be used to shape stone before setting it. (Obviously only when you plan to plaster the wall or hide it, of course)

Well, yeah.
But I only meant knocking them flush, not countersinking.

Ouch! Ouch!

Had to be 6 characters.

Which one do I use to change the light bulb?

None. According to Microsoft, darkness is Light 8.0.

Yep. You hit the nail on the head. :smile: I have a wooden hammer given to me by a famous writer, which I use all the time. Hickory, old and utilitarian, just like him.

Most people don’t know how to hold a hammer. I taught myself how to hold a hammer by building a small house and not using a nail gun. I learned not to hold the hammer in a death grip, but instead to hold it mostly with my pinky and ring finger, medium pressure with my middle finger, and loosely with my thumb and index. My index finger is almost not even gripping, but pointing forward towards the hammer head. My thumb meat absorbs a lot of the shock with each blow.

Also, learning to be deadly accurate with the hammer is a fantastic skill. It’s in the wrist, as they say, but you have to have the head 100% flat against the top of the nail after you complete your arc. I could hammer hundreds of 10 penny nails per day by concentrating on developing strong technique.

One last thing I learned was how to correct a nail that was bending off kilter while I was nailing it. I learned to watch the nail head and adjust the next blow to make it tilt back the other way slightly so that the nail wouldn’t bend. Although I will admit that a few times I got so frustrated at uncooperative nails that I just hammered their sorry bent asses flush with the wood.

And of course there’s the fabled Banhammer, as wielded by moderators since the ancient times.

1 Like

I have found that a lignum vitae mallet is one of the most useful hammers to own. Indispensable for chisel work. Also useful for lodging things into place and getting things apart. So useful!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.