A beginner's guide to the Redpill Right

Actually, many of us are 40+.

I appreciate that a couple of Cathy Brennan’s early comments were included in an “Update” attached to the end of the article. However I wish it had been made clear that, once her ideas were challenged, she became so insulting and offensive that some of her comments had to be deleted.

Those who don’t read through the entire thread, or at least most of it, might be left with the mistaken impression that Brennan’s views were misrepresented in the article.

10 Likes

[quote]Far back in the mists of ancient time, in the great and glorious days of the former Galactic Empire, life was wild, rich and largely tax free.

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high.
Men - were real men.
Women - were real women.
And small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri - were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.[/quote]

3 Likes

Sandy Stone joined the R-T-F department at UT right as I was about to graduate (Wikipedia says she started her program in 1993, but she was in the department the year before that). She did speak to us in class one day about virtual reality etc. Between Professor Stone’s arrival, and the fact that I was spending more time in the Engineering library (wondering how to build stuff like ring modulators), in hindsight I probably should have stuck around after graduation.

(Sorry, but who are “the Gorgons?” Outside of Greek mythology, I mean. I’ve read about the attack on Stone in the late 1970s.)

Or t-shirts, anyway.

2 Likes

Comparing the increasingly authoritarian state of the US to the mid 20th century Soviet Union there appear some superficial resemblances. But much of your critique seems to hinge upon the assumption that the USSR was in any way Marxist. Left politics can be subverted not unlike right politics can. This is how you can read about real democracy in works of Marx, and reconcile it with the oppressive tactics of people such as Mao or Stalin. And how promises of more business for Mom & Pop businesses in the west were used to undermine them for purposes of consolidation of wealth and influence.

If you think this has anything do with “equality”, intellectualism, or even (gasp) Marxism - then you probably have some pretty thick ideological glasses on. What you are describing is simple greed. There is a world of difference between “Ideological Subversion via Marxism” and “Ideological Subversion of Marxism”

10 Likes

Two were flagged and taken down, perhaps due to the volume of flags. But they’re restored now to ensure that both her position and the replies to it are clear.

The only deleted comment as of now is one from a first-posting trolley who wrote “GARBAGE.” I kind of want to put that back up too as it’s like the punchline to some terrible, extremely long joke.

10 Likes

Well, the key difference seems to be that Redpillers don’t actually make anything. I don’t think pickup artists count as actual artists.

4 Likes

I like to think of it as this character coming in at the last minute, tipping his lid in a Broadwayesque manner and doing a little Ethel Merman “Gaaaar-baaaaage!”

5 Likes

6 Likes

What is this about, anyway? I like to think that, now that I’m in my forties, I can wear a fedora. With whom am I grouping myself?

1 Like

7 Likes

I was just late to the beginning of the thread. These (or for that matter, any story) related to gender, race, or whatever is always either highly entertaining or highly infuriating. I suspect it relates to how I feel that day!

That’s fine, too. We should make room for that. I’m all for people identifying however they feel comfortable and society being more accepting of that.

4 Likes

The science doesn’t say that at all. There are plenty of well-documented genetically-based medical issues which affect certain ‘races’ more than others - take something as simple as lactose tolerance in adults, or the classic: sickle-cell anemia.

And yes, there are people who take that fact and use it to prop up their junk science.

1 Like

[quote]Anyway, we had organized this tour and we had gotten a letter telling us
that when we got to Seattle that there was a separatist paramilitary
group called the Gorgons. The Gorgons was a group of women who wore
cammo gear, shaved their heads and carried live weapons. We were told
that when we got to town, they were going to kill me.[/quote]

3 Likes

That’s good, coz I now actively avoid services were I’m only given the choice of M/F and I HAVE to select one or I can’t submit the registration form. People think I’m strange - and I’m quite willing to concede that, in many ways, I am - but I actually find it as offensive as forcing a Black person to choose between White, Oriental, and Hispanic - it’s just a big FUCK YOU! I feel anyone that narrow-minded is probably homophobic, too.

The only exception I’ve made is Live365, because my favourite industrial/goth/EBM/darkwave station quit broadcasting via TuneIn. My tolerance for ads is subzero, so that meant ponying up the dough. The registration forced M/F on me, to which I responded by sending 365 a VERY strongly-worded email. Their response, although polite, basically boiled down to “Why should we accommodate you, you weirdo…?!” They’ve ignored every tech support request I’ve made since (their iPad app is a piece of shit). The only time they deigned to reply, they basically told me that I was the only one reporting the issues I was reporting and that my iPad was probably too under-specced to run their software. I don’t THINK so, this is an Air 2, 128GB so, if anything, they need to update their app to accommodate my iPad.

I keep meaning to start a thread asking if there are any other iPad users having problems, because I refuse to believe 365’s assertion that I’m the only one. It functions as a streamer, but that’s it - I can’t do owt else without it crashing - well, at least not more than once. 365’s got my money, so WTF should they care now…?!

Apologies for the rant, but it repeatedly crashed on me this morning. And last night. :imp::imp::imp::imp::rage::rage::rage::confused::confused::confused:

4 Likes

Sure thing. Bev Von Dohre: "[Trans people’s] arrogance and oppressiveness is amazing. It is funny though that they are so used to Feminists immediately bowing before them that they don’t know how to deal with that we don’t care what happens to them. They expect we’ll be shocked to see statistics about them being killed, and don’t realize, some of us wish they would ALL be dead. "– Bev Von Dohre, 2010 - See more at: http://www.transadvocate.com/that-time-terfs-beat-radfems-for-protecting-a-trans-woman-from-assault_n_14382.htm#.dpuf

3 Likes

Aside from that being a tautology, it expands the definition of “science” not only beyond what goes on in a lab, but beyond any useful meaning: Science is the best thing; if something is the best then it is science.

The best approach to solving a problem can have a scientific explanation without having arisen from an application of the scientific method.

2 Likes

Interesting article, until it devolved into a big straw-man, leading me to question the veracity of the entire premise. I’m not going to argue that some people among these groups hold a philosophy like this, but I’m not sure if it can be generalized out to all the individuals in these “interest communities” (for lack of a better term).

Also, in the most BB of ways, I think this might that be a nice bit of writing that is actually just attempting to troll the trolls, more than actually attempt to genuinely examine or explain the culture or phenomena. If one was actually trying to analyze the philosophical underpinnings of these communities, a more neutral tone would lend a lot of credibility. Instead, it sounds like the author is just using his college education to bash communities he doesn’t like with a faux analysis, which is a bit disingenuous.

It would be very interesting, though, to read a decent, neutral, analysis of these groups.

This being Boing Boing, I sadly need to include this disclaimer: Being somewhat skeptical of the article in question does not mean I support or agree with these groups or agendas. Indeed, I find the ideas of the communities discussed here infantile at best, and hateful as a general default.

2 Likes