A big ol' box of assorted automotive blade fuses

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/29/a-big-ol-box-of-assorted-aut.html

4 Likes

Ugh. I had an intermittent short in the wiring harness tucked into my sporty’s headlight bucket. Chased that for weeks.

2 Likes

…unless your DeLorean needs a fuse.

4 Likes

A multimeter with a continuity test is your friend.

2 Likes

Slow news day?

“Son,” my father said, after taking me by the shoulder, "all a man really needs is a big box of assorted automotive blade fuses."
After I finished considering his statement, I looked around and realised that he’d abandoned me in the forest.

Lesson learned.

6 Likes

Very true; though better labelling and documentation would be really welcome. Particularly for fuses in places you wouldn’t necessarily expect(sometimes a necessary evil; but if the fuse isn’t in the fuse panel it’d be nice to mention it); or for those horrible fuses that look exactly like every other surface mount passive. Grovelling through every tiny rectangle on a PCB with fine tipped probes because somebody didn’t feel like distinguishing the resistors from the suicide resistors is very annoying.

2 Likes

Did he at least leave the box of fuses with you?

3 Likes

Three fuses of each amperage should be enough. If you blow three fuses in a row, then you need to fix the gizmo, not install yet another fuse that’s doomed to blow.

2 Likes

…insert a penny.

7 Likes

A man after my own trailer-park heart!

2 Likes

I’d like to stab the guy at Honda who decided soldering in blade-type fuses was a great idea.

2 Likes

That will solve the problem of blowing fuses by turning the gizmo into a big fuse.
Stand back!

2 Likes

Are you sure that the device didn’t self-solder the fuse into place as part of the failure mode (to try to prevent additional tampering)?

Reminds me of a Father’s Day card I gave my dad years ago – on the front it went “Remember how when I was young we would go on these long drives into the countryside?” and in the inside “And how surprised you always were when I found my way home anyway?”

4 Likes

Yup.

Wow, they must have gotten there quick. Those things burn flat to the ground in seconds.

I concur with the sentiment; but tradition demands that heretics be burned. Soldering a deliberately sacrificial part that is designed to be socketed is a blatant transgression against all laws of god, man, and nature.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.