A big piece of Highway 1 near Big Sur fell into the ocean

As a kid, watching the view in this made such an impression on me that I started planning my first trip to CA. It was filmed further north, but the view IRL did not disappoint:

7 Likes

The Netflix show Ratched makes great use of the stretch of coastal highway near Big Sur too (luckily it hasn’t changed much since the late-1940s time period the show is set in). Definitely one of the most beautiful stretches of road I’ve ever driven.

0_Highway-1-near-Big-Sur

11 Likes

I have extremely fond memories of driving that stretch of highway in a rented mustang convertible when I first started travelling to California for work. That whole area is just beautiful.

12 Likes

If you’re traveling 1 South, you’ll have to cross over to 101 in or north of Monterey, drive 101 South until just South of Paso Robles, then you can head back to 1 near Cambria. Paso Robles south to Santa Barbara is wine country - the movie Sideways.

5 Likes

They’ll drive pilings and backfill, as well as stabilize the hillside. It might take em ten years, but they will.

Badumpbum psssh!

THAT IS FUCKING BULLSHIT
I am not drinking any fucking Merlot!

… Calm down, Miles!

6 Likes

And as sea levels rise, also for 2022, 2023, 2024, 2025…

9 Likes

Out here a road is a process, not a project.

5 Likes

See also: Palos Verdes Drive around Portuguese Bend

Back to the topic on hand – sort of:

2 Likes

Also known as all 338 miles of Hwy 101 in Oregon from Astoria to Brookings.

4 Likes

It really does happen a lot…
2017:

Also, I think you will unfortunately have to miss the best parts of the 1…
(Really no other way in until you get to the 46 if you want to make a through-passage…)

2 Likes

Yah, happens all the time.

Saw a chunk of PCH gone when visiting a friend in Malibu a while back.
The entire coastal area is all sedimentary/clay/compacted sand, so washes out really easily. CalTrans usually gets this stuff fixed in a day or two.

I’m wondering what’s happening with all the areas that were hit by fires now that we have a few pretty good storms in a row…

3 Likes

South of, and this is a very bad time to drive it. This is the time of year when a section of road…just goes away, as pictured.

My first intro to Big Sur was literary, via A Confederate General from Big Sur and Richard Brautigan. My first actual intro to Big Sur was finally figuring out, after five years in the Bay Area, that Big Sur was, for all practical purposes, right there and driving down to see it over a weekend.

I will never forget driving down south of Carmel, getting the glimpses of the ocean and mountains together, but not quite everything at once…then coming through a cut and having it all suddenly visible all at the same time. I had to find a place to pull over and just be completely stonked for about ten minutes.

That first time I only drove down to about Hurricane Point, but after that Big Sur has always been my favorite place in the world.

4 Likes

My partner got an alert for debris flows in South San Mateo county ahead of this storm. It was from flash flood danger on the edge of the CZU complex burn zone.

5 Likes

Naciemento-Fergusson Road goes all the way through, and it is north of 46. Looks like the turn off is well into the closed section. Also. Not a route for the faint of heart. (I ran it on a liter bike, but my friends on adventure bikes were on much more appropriate machines. I regret nothing.)

2 Likes

Big Sur…hmm…have not upgraded to that yet. Maybe I should wait.

3 Likes

Yeah, I drove it a few years ago (probably after the 2017 slide I mentioned) to get in to Plaskett creek campground (my recollection is that 1 was closed both north and south of N-F rd at the time). It’s a cool drive & a Helluva view coming over to the Pacific side of the pass, there was a bit of snow up top too!
ETA: Guess I should have clarified. What I meant was no way to make a through passage right now, because the road looks to be closed both north and south of Naciemento-Fergusson road.

4 Likes

We got one down here in the OC before the last set of rains as well. A lot of the hills are stripped of the vegetation (or at least the dead roots of the summer’s grasses etc…) that help hold wet mud in place.

2 Likes

Cue Joan Baez’s “The Hitchhiker’s Song” from 1971’s Blessed Are… Highway 1 is in first line.

Joan actually turned 80 on Jan 9th.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.