Massive chunk of California's Highway 1 has dropped into the ocean

Originally published at: Massive chunk of California's Highway 1 has dropped into the ocean | Boing Boing

9 Likes

That’ll buff right out!

21 Likes
8 Likes

just move that road in a few feet, it’ll be cool

3 Likes

“I heard a small chunk of highway fell in the ocean out in …”

“Big Sur”

“Must you contradict everything I say??”

17 Likes

Call that a gap?
I’ve seen Sandra jump that in a bus.

15 Likes

“Do you know everything, Jeeves?”

“I really don’t know, sir.”

7 Likes

I love that highway and drive it whenever I’m in the area but this whole “falling into the ocean” thing is getting too frequent for comfort. IIRC the last time was right around Pacifica.

7 Likes

This happens all the time, it’s not actually a good place to put a road

Oh and people can call Big Sur a “town” but I want to see pictures, at most it’s a neighborhood

Southern Californians think it’s magical because it’s the first time they’ve ever seen a tree

15 Likes

Apparently, it’s a shade tree…

9 Likes

Taps California on the shoulder, whispers in her ear… “Your slip is showing”

8 Likes

Yeah I feel like I learned this in 100-level geology? I mean 101 is full of beautiful views but makes zero sense for so many reasons.

9 Likes

Back in the 80s I took a 100 level course at UMass on Natural Disasters. Basically, I learned that if you put stuff in nature’s way, nature will have it’s way. You can call something a disaster, but if you build in a flood plain, build amid dry brush, build under a volcano (etc) you get what you get. Nothing to see here. Move along, move along.

8 Likes
10 Likes

Unfortunately, the speed limit on that stretch is 54mph.

5 Likes

This is a section of California Highway 1, not Interstate Highway 101. The 101 and the I-5 are California’s main North-South thoroughfares, but the 1 is the only way to access much of the coast itself.

5 Likes

Forgive my ignorance. I clearly did not read the headline. I’m an Oregonian, so 101 is as close to the coast as one gets here. Thanks for clarifying.

5 Likes

In fairness to you, there are also stretches where the 1 and the 101 merge.

I can’t recall reading about any part of California’s 101 eroding into the ocean though. Usually if the state’s North-South traffic grinds to a halt it’s due to inclement weather on the “Grapevine” section of the I-5 further inland.

3 Likes
4 Likes

I don’t think that really qualifies as “eroding into the ocean” considering that part of the 101 is about 10 miles inland.

1 Like