Massive chunk of California's Highway 1 has dropped into the ocean

3 Likes

Well there you are.

I guess it helps that the northernmost stretch of California’s 101 has a fraction of the traffic that the San-Francisco-to-San-Diego stretch does.

2 Likes

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was

[Verse 3]
Water dissolving and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Under the water, carry the water
Remove the water at the bottom of the ocean
Water dissolving and water removing

[Chorus]
Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down

10 Likes

make a movie… before jeeves gets there

Came here to make a joke about just putting a ramp on both sides. I’m not leaving disappointed.

Pretty much this. The volcanoes aren’t getting any worse (yet; who knows how we’re gonna mess those up with fracking, etc), but the flood plains, dry brush, sea level, and polar air are indeed getting much worse. CA, the southwest, FL, and the midwest are not places I would like to own property right now. New England seems pretty stable.

2 Likes

This is what subduction looks like!

5 Likes

Yeah. I’ve driven it twice, both times northbound (I’ll stick to the inside lane, thank you, even if it’s onyl a psychological difference). Last time I did it a section was closed, and I thought I wasn’t going to be able to, since Google Maps on my computer couldn’t find a route. But then the mobile app happily told me at the last minute I could drive through Pasa Robles, then through forest roads by Fort Liggett (at like 20 mph), and get to the coast like a mile or less beyond the closure. That was awesome. Then the next day I found out that a couple of days two before, someone had driven over the edge, and was still there as we drove past, before a hiker found her (alive) a couple days later.

4 Likes

Driving Highway 1 from San Francisco to Santa Cruz and back was one of the highlights of my time in California. Gorgeous. Simply breathtaking.

3 Likes

Now I’ve got Decemberists California 1 in my head.

2 Likes

If you had kept going south to where this section of road is, it’s even more beautiful, if you can believe it.
Highway 1 through Big Sur is stunning. Cliffs and cows and rolling hills and the Pacific.
We drove it last Oct from Monterey to SLO.

5 Likes

It’s Little Sur, now.

3 Likes

I really need to get back out there for an extended period of time. It’s just gorgeous!

2 Likes

Pedaled through there on my trike (more than) a few years back on the second leg of my cross-country trek, heading south from Astoria, OR to Santa Barbara, CA. Lots of fog on the way into Big Sur that day.

Every so often I’ll imagine what I’d do if something like this happened to the road while I was on the route back then…I think I would’ve had to turn around, pedal 45 miles north, and then head inland through the mountains on county route 16 until I could loop back around to San Luis Obispo (my next planned city stop) and continue south. About 120 extra miles, with climbs. Oof!

7 Likes

Well, add this spot to my nightmare fuel of roads with disasters that I travelled!

3 Likes

Not a problem for the Duke* Boys. That sort of thing was no more than a punctuation in Hazzard County driving.

• The ‘General’ was hella politically incorrect, but I am old and I have seen worse. I have never seen anything like this present lot, though.
2 Likes

The atmospheric river sounds like it was needed, even if peoples’ Force Solipsism (suppose there were a road by a mountain through up there…) sank for a bit. Farther inland, river!

1 Like

Lame.

2 Likes

The Pompeii Chamber of Commerce vociferously disagrees! Nothing the Free Market and low regulation can’t fix.

1 Like
3 Likes