Massive chunk of California's Highway 1 has dropped into the ocean

Thank you for this.
The picture is beautiful.

It’s a trip I have fantasized about taking, but I will never be as brave as you, to bike that road.

If you have a blog or photoset of that trip, please post the link.
It’s as close to a vacation this week as I am likely to get.

6 Likes

How is it 24 hours and I’m the first posting this? Are the punkers getting all old?

2 Likes

I blame my bad brains.
Been feeling pretty vacant in this house that I call home.
(20 20 24 hours ago, I wanna be sedated.)

3 Likes

Sure! I did blog from the road - it was 2006, so I used a Dell laptop, an EVDO modem, and a cell phone booster I ran off a solar battery - but that website’s long gone. So I put the photos from the West Coast leg into a Google album for you: Astoria - Santa Barbara [07/18 - 09/17/2006]. They’re mostly in order, north to south, though I see there are a few from SFO that show up sooner than they should.

Please enjoy them in all their 5-megapixel glory!

6 Likes

Doing a Pacific Coast cycletour from Vancouver to Tijuana is on my immediate-post-COVID bucket list. I’ve done some pieces of it over the years, notably I’ve covered everything from Muir Beach to Tunitas…

4 Likes

Massive chunk of California’s Highway 1 has dropped into the ocean

As the mystics and statistics said it would

Love it!
Love that small footprint tent too!

1 Like

Had to think back for a minute - that was a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2, model year 2005 or so. It was a great tent, but not freestanding, which was an issue now and then on the road. I’ve got a Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 now (the older design, without the vestibule awnings). More room, weighs less, progress and all that. I’ve only spent the night in it a few times, but haven’t had the chance to tour with it yet.

2 Likes

Took me some time with a map to figure out that you meant Tunitas in Baja!

The roadway fell into the ocean,
The tarmac fell into the sea.
The blacktop fell into the ocean,
Please fix the infrastructure for me!

Please fix
Please fix
Please fix the infrastructure for me, for me
Please fix
Please fix
Please fix the infrastructure for me!

1 Like

Hah, no, Tunitas in San Mateo county, on the SF peninsula’s Pacific Coast

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.