A big piece of Highway 1 near Big Sur fell into the ocean

Originally published at: A big piece of Highway 1 near Big Sur fell into the ocean | Boing Boing

6 Likes

That’ll buff… in?

15 Likes

The ancient Greeks occasionally sacrificed horses and chariots to appease Poseidon. We Californians do much the same with coastal highways.

22 Likes
11 Likes
8 Likes

I went down that road last in 2019, I’ve seen a lot in life, but that road and the stops along it was truly one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen.

I hope they can fix it. I’m going back on the motorcycle someday

19 Likes

That’s not really too unusual. Heavy rains will always bring down chunks of PCH. We just don’t get too many heavy rains here in these parts, podnuh.

8 Likes

I can’t drive the PCH near Big Sur anymore without hearing this song

6 Likes

CalTrans is good at this. California is a very dynamic place, and these kinds of wash outs are common. This one is bad, but not off scale.

Also. As a Bay Area motorcyclist, you absolutely should hit highway 1 on a bike. It’s a great road. Even if it can be crowded sometimes.

12 Likes

It’s a space time continuum issue, no biggie for us inter dimensional beings.

BTW: Space lasers are a thing. Y’all.

11 Likes

I’m headed out west tomorrow and will be driving between Sacramento and San Diego - was thinking of taking the PCH as I’ve never driven it before.

Correct me if I’m wrong but this stretch is north of Monterey?

5 Likes

Big Sur is about 30 miles South of Monterey.

Unless you’re referring to the Monterrey in Mexico, which is a considerably longer commute.

8 Likes

A bit south (more specifically, a bit south of Carmel).

My family and I made this drive several times when I was a kid, and my (now) wife and I drove through 20 (?!) years ago. (Come to find out, that week between Christmas and New Years is [present pandemic excepted] a great time to visit SF, Big Sur etc. Compared to the summer trips of my youth, we had it all to ourselves.)

5 Likes

So I should probably plan on joining the PCH further south to avoid this stretch. I’m going to assume the road will be closed for at least a few days.

7 Likes

On brand for 2021.

10 Likes

“I heard there was damage. Where did it happen?”

“Big Sur”

“I asked where it was. And stop calling me sir!”

2 Likes

Or get a good bit of speed going first.

13 Likes

Every decade or so that Big Sur stretch gets shut down by some calamity or another. As you’re driving along you notice all of the uneven stretches and cracks and scars left by road repair crews.

9 Likes

Ok, the scenic route I would suggest is run I-80 into the Bay Area, then take I-580 over the San Rafael Bridge, then get on 101 south over the Golden Gate. Follow the signs to take Highway 1 through SF, turn right (west) on Geary and run that out to the beach and south to pick up 1 north of Pacifica. Run that down the coast to Santa Cruz and Watsonville. Cut east at Watsonville, take 129 & 156 to Hollister via San Juan Batista. Take 25 south out of Hollister. Cut back to 101 on 198, and that will get you to the coast and San Louis Obispo.

Also. Check CalTrans before running this route: https://roads.dot.ca.gov/
Looks like there were two rock slides on 25. You can just catch 101 S at the end of 129 as the alternate route. It’s not as pretty and fun, but it’s faster and not terrible.

Whatever you do, don’t take 1 past Watsonville. Monterey is lovely, but there is a choke point north of Moss Landing, and traffic through there often goes at a crawl.

8 Likes

Perfect. Thank you!!

4 Likes