A brazen thief smashed a surf shop's window and loaded up his car with loot as an Instagrammer recorded it all

Originally published at: A brazen thief smashed a surf shop's window and loaded up his car with loot as an Instagrammer recorded it all | Boing Boing

1 Like

Probably still a misdemeanor. If caught, he’ll be out in a couple if hours, sans bail. Maybe he’ll get a fine, for swift justice.

I’m mainly confused as to what the thief plans to do with a couple of custom made surfboards that have the Mami Wata logo on them. It’s not like they’re mass produced goods that will blend in after they’re out the door…er, window.

5 Likes

A vanity plate that reads LOS ANGELES?

3 Likes

that 70s show lol GIF by IFC

4 Likes

As the comments say, it’s “obviously fake”. Does California require a front plate?

2 Likes

tumblr_oqqf6wrz641tr6ni8o1_500

3 Likes

I Googled California plates, and it definitely looks like the retro-style vanity plates on offer through the DMV. Perhaps he stole that, too.

The Office Yes GIF

4 Likes

missed opportunity, then.

1 Like

The car did have a front plate, and with some pausing of the video, I think I made it to be BLV-J509.

1 Like

That wasn’t the one the thief was using, I don’t think. The gear and other surfboard were in the BMW.

3 Likes

Ahh, yes, you are right. There was a slight cut in the video, and my wrecked attention span forgot which car the thief was using :grimacing:

2 Likes

Thats not a real license plate. The car is stolen, right? Is that a kind of default plate that might be found at a dealership??

He’s going to surf with them.

Right. To me, it would be like going to the skate park on a stolen Tony Hawk-autographed skateboard that had been painted by some artist and many folks had seen at the skate shop and knew had been stolen.

ETA: Okay, now I see it. He’d probably get street cred for being the thief.

2 Likes

Probably something he put on over his real plate before he went to break into that surf shop…

2 Likes

It’s not “his.” It’s too good a car. Someone who actually owns a brand-new, $80,000 car will just buy $2000 surfboards; no need to steal. He does not own that car. I’m just so confused though: why doesn’t he sell the already-stolen car to a chop shop, then use the $$$ to buy the surfboard (skipping the unnecessary second robbery). This thief needs a life coach / business manager!

Funny when the thief says “Don’t touch my car.” Yeah, show some consideration!

1 Like

Because he needs the car to get to the beach?

3 Likes

Ah, so there really was always money in the banana stand…er shop.

2 Likes

Grand Theft is anything over $750 in Florida $950 in California, so this is a felony.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.