A brief documentary on the legendary 'Smokey and the Bandit'

Originally published at: A brief documentary on the legendary 'Smokey and the Bandit' | Boing Boing

1 Like

If I had fuck you money, I’d hire a team to build an MMORPG based around 70s car and trucker movies.

10 Likes

Fry-Shut-Up-and-Take-My-Money-Futurama

3 Likes

These movies were favourite 1970s viewing for my family. We loved Buford T. Justice and his idiot son. In addition to “sumbitch”, I loved how Gleason would turn on the “Southern charm” by calling waitresses “nice lady”.

Obligatory explanation of the main plot point of the first movie, which was puzzling to a lot of viewers even back then:

4 Likes

I remember when Coors was first available in New England in the 80’s, someone’s dad got a case and we all pinched some.

“Wow. That’s . . . no better than any other American beer. What gives?”

6 Likes

he’s right: it’s a legitimate classic.

1 Like

That was so much fun!!

1 Like

Much of the movie was filmed near where I live now, in and around a little town called Tucker, just outside the northeast corner of the Perimeter of Atlanta. It was much more rural then, as you might imagine. The Choke ‘n’ Puke scene where Justice orders the Diablo sandwich while talking to the Bandit was filmed at a place about a mile from my house called The Old Hickory House. And yes, they still serve a Diablo – basically a pulled pork sandwich with a moderately hot barbecue sauce.

8 Likes

My dad used to always leave a space in the back of the station wagon to haul back some Coors when we visited family in Colorado. He’d bestow the Banquet Beer upon his friends like one would uncork a rare bottle of wine or decant a fine whiskey when we got back home. We even had a CB in the car, so it was totally Bandit cosplay on our 70’s family road trip.

3 Likes

Here’s a YouTube link instead of the c**p embed the BB is doing these days: Smokey And The Bandit Documentary - YouTube

4 Likes

It originally had the youtube link - must have been edited later to add that monstrosity. What gives?

1 Like

It looks like all of the YouTube links on BB have been “improved”.

1 Like

Here’s a fun video of a guy ranking cheap American beers:

Coors does surprisingly well. His assessment of Rolling Rock is pretty amusing.

3 Likes

I have fond memories of Rolling Rock. It’s better in the bottle.

As well as completely wrong? :wink: To me Rolling Rock stands out from the rest because it has a little corn bite (which is what I’m guessing he interprets as “metallic”), which means it actually has flavor compared to the other more watery ones.

1 Like

I can’t believe we’ve got this far into a thread about US beer without anyone mentioning that

it’s like making love in a canoe: fucking close to water.

Of course, US beer is different now, it’s gone completely the other way and is horribly over-hopped, and too strong for pleasant boozing.

1 Like

It’ll happen.

Everything in the west of the US now starts at an India Pale Ale’s bitterness and hoppiness and accelerates towards the undrinkable.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.