A brown bear thinks it's a customer as it checks out the goods in a 7-11

Originally published at: A brown bear thinks it's a customer as it checks out the goods in a 7-11 | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Maybe a good idea would be to stop advertising on the “Bear Channel” if you don’t want bears to patronize your establishment?

The Bear in me has spoken.

16 Likes

Brown bear don’t care.

8 Likes

“Brown bear, brown bear, what do you see?”

“I see a lady yelling at me.”

27 Likes

Except for the mask issue it appears better mannered than many customers

36 Likes

I can’t help but think I would be talking calmly to the bear and maybe trying to pet it. I’d get mauled doing that though.

13 Likes

“They died petting a bear in a 7-11” is an obituary to be proud of.

26 Likes

Clearly a career criminal, out on parole; you can see its tag.

I like how the bear kept the door open for a speedy escape.

12 Likes

I know…I know…I’m being a bear pedant here, but there are no brown bears in either California (despite our state flag) or Nevada, only black bears. You’ll have to travel to Alaska, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, or Washington to visit a brown bear. Bear coats can very quite a bit even within species.

12 Likes

So, a grizzled veteran of crime?

26 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

10 Likes

This is the scary bit. The bear is getting used to being in contact with humans, and because it has been able to get into the bins, it now associates this location with food. This is a recipe for conflict in the medium term.

16 Likes

Must be, for sure. Couldn’t be the polar opposite, after all.

11 Likes

At first, this feels like species discrimination.

But then I remembered, no shirt, no shoes, no service.

14 Likes

“very well - i shall take my business to a competing establishment. i say to you ‘good day,’ madam!”

12 Likes

5 Likes

He was looking for the Icee machine…

17 Likes

So at this point I have to recommend Fuzz: When Nature Breaks the Law by Mary Roach. She devotes one of the early chapters to human-bear interactions and addresses this association specifically. This bear has been yelled at before, and isn’t concerned about the soft squishy making all the noise, but still isn’t sure if it can safely grab the high density food stash that’s right there. Watching this, it won’t be long.

3 Likes

This tends to happen in California news stories. And usually gets corrected later, but not always.

It’s not a Brown Bear, it’s a bear, that is brown, but that happens to be of the Black Bear species.

Sometimes it’s a Black Bear in a cinnamon phase, aka, a cinnamon bear.

Though this one just looks like a black bear to me.

2 Likes

Darn, I showed up after most of the bear-name-related puns were used up.

Still, quite the spectacle.

2 Likes