A Calvinesque and Hobbesian look at a President becoming a Dictator

Well, the Bush Administration did consult with the judiciary of the possibility of cancelling the 2004 elections in case of terrorism concerns.

I was deeply troubled by this at the time. But it almost seems whimsical in the Trump era that the executive would actually ask if something like ending democratic electrons would be frowned upon instead of pretending like they had the power to do it all along and who cares what anyone thinks.

3 Likes

Trump is old and unhealthy; he is unlikely to remain President for more than eight years even if he tries to.

The danger is not President-for-life Trump. The danger is permanent fascism, maintained by the systematic corruption of the American political system.

Trump is the symptom, not the disease.

15 Likes

Unfortunately, there are people who believe that even a sinner such as Trump can be an instrument of the Lordā€™s will. God moves in mysterious ways, after all.

2 Likes

ā€œMysteriousā€? Downright baffling.

2 Likes

I saw Michael Moore on a talk show after Farenheit 11/9 came out. They pointed out that the movieā€™s name was a play on his previous movieā€™s name which was itself a play on a work of distopian fiction and implied that Bush et al were fascists. They kind of implied, ā€œHey, you said the fascists were taking over before and you were wrong, why do you think you are right this time?ā€

But the thing is, Moore was right the first time. Itā€™s as if people think that successive talk about each president possibly refusing to leave power is normal. It should be literally unthinkable. With Bush it was something the government actually looked into. With Obama it was a fever dream, but it was a dream specifically sold to people to prep them for a president doing it in the future, so they can say, ā€œWell, Obama did it!ā€ and not worry about the fact that no, Obama did not do that.

Yeah, I think there is a real chance Trump is president for life, but thatā€™s because he might not make it to 2021 (though obviously the odds of him doing so go up by the day).

8 Likes

In Cadet Bonespursā€™ own words (on how to fix this problem)ā€¦

But I would never suggest violence of any sort against such a fine gentleman.

Unlikely. Heā€™s not popular enough even in the Republican party to pull it off. 40% of Americans would support it (they support everything about him), but thatā€™s not enough.

Not so sure. This makes me think of that New York Times front page about how Hitler will be kept in check by moderate opposition parties. Iā€™m not going overboard on this-it-is-facism-is-here. I just think that 40% is plenty to enact fascism.

10 Likes

Heā€™s already lost the House, and thereā€™s no provision in the Constitution for the President to dissolve Congress. There just isnā€™t a path to enacting this short of a full on military coup and shooting opposition politicians in the streets. If Trump were stupidly popular and thought maybe he could get an amendment passed by the States then this might have a slight chance, but the numbers arenā€™t anywhere close to that, even with the inherent bias of our election system.

1 Like

I am not suggesting there is any legal means for him to retain power. If fascism every does take hold in the US it will be through illegal means.

5 Likes

Fascism is cancer, and Trump is the cancerous tumor. That tumor has to be excised before it metastasizes and becomes Stage 4 Nazi Germany.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I believe itā€™s likely been 40% for quite a while. The problem is that Trump has created an atmosphere thatā€™s made enactment of Fascism here more possible than ever before.

3 Likes

Over my dead body.

3 Likes

Trump is just the tip of the pustule. The Senate, the judiciary, the police, the state legislatures; the rot goes much deeper than Trump.

Yes, it does. But the problem is much bigger than just one man.

2 Likes

Which one though? I mean, Donald is old, crooked and stupid, but I shudder at the thought of his gaggle of wastling heirs dividing up his broken kingdom.

1 Like

I, sweetpotato?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.