A car passenger is struck in the head by a flying turtle (in Florida, of course)

Originally published at: A car passenger is struck in the head by a flying turtle (in Florida, of course) | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Where they in first place?

4 Likes

Lucky turtle! It very likely turtled-up in its shell as it flew through the air!

4 Likes

Poor lady got a shellacking.

9 Likes

Was the raptor ticketed for reckless turtle plummeting? (cf Aeschylus)

7 Likes

So that’s what Om has been up to.

7 Likes

Sure this is Florida? There is no Interstate 91 in Florida…

1 Like

I just saw the headline for this somewhere, shorn of all context: “Passenger survives being hit in head by flying turtle” and I thought, well, every part of that sentence raises questions…

3 Likes

Could have gone worse.

Gamera

13 Likes

Florida Turtle is now a thing, didn’t have that on my Florida bingo card.

4 Likes

I’m guessing it was a 'glades terrapin. they crawl onto the highway to sun, if a car tire hits them, they fly out like a watermelon seed. they usually don’t survive.

2 Likes

This is honestly not the first time I’ve heard of this happening. Possibly the last time was on Boingboing even.

Edit: Yup

6 Likes

Ballistic Turtle is a solid band name.

11 Likes

I know this couple of jerk-ass plumbers that do this on go-kart tracks all the time.

10 Likes

And oh, what a story he had to his fellow turtles.

3 Likes

Came for Gamera and Pratchett references.

Well done everyone. Carry on. As you were.

6 Likes

I’m guessing they meant 95 or 1.

3 Likes

Maybe it was stopped by an eagle. That’s what did for Aeschylus. But he was bald, and the eagle mistook him for a rock.

2 Likes

Aeschylus, the Greek playwright, died in the same way in 456 B.C., according to the legend, by receiving a turtle on the head, thrown by a bird of prey which would have confused his bald head with a stone intended to break the carapace.

1 Like

Florida has flying turtles?? Seriously, Florida, WTF?

“It’s not a turtle, it’s just a Palmetto bug!”

4 Likes