Flying turtle smashes through Georgia driver's windshield

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/28/flying-turtle-smashes-through.html

8 Likes

giphy

41 Likes

I read the header and KNEW it was Savannah. Our local roads are littered with dead turtles (and raccoons) due to being built on marshes and near creeks/canals.

A few months ago I turned off the interstate near a large pond. A turtle was valiantly trying to cross the elevated off-ramp, but the car in front of me nicked him hard. He rocketed back the way he came, and I have to assume it wasn’t a good outcome. Sadly, no shoulders to stop and check, and it’s a very accident-prone area.

18 Likes

I can’t be the first one to think this is the culprit.

16 Likes

Gamera looked bigger on TV.

Annotation 2020-05-28 101258

33 Likes

19 Likes

I was going to make a Gamera joke, but I honestly feel bad for the turtle (ended up dying). I wonder if it fell, or was it pushed/thrown? My inner vandal says pitching a rock off a bridge is a more likely scenario, but bored kids can do the sickest stuff, and one unlucky turtle later. . . .

18 Likes

R.I.P. Cecil.

cecil_speeding(2)

27 Likes

Georgia? There’s a turtle in Kentucky that needs this treatment, too.

16 Likes

For a few, brief moments that turtle achieved their lifelong dream.

TMNT Leo

Then it all went horribly wrong.

17 Likes

Wow, poor turtle, kicked up by a truck tire no doubt. Reminds me of one of the most mysterious things I ever experienced. It was the mid 1970s, about two A.M., I’m driving along a deserted British Columbia two lane mountain road. Freshly paved road, black asphalt, with no lane markings; moonless night. My Vauxhaul Viva’s twin headlights barely able to illuminate the road, I keep it down to about 40 mph. Suddenly, a bright flash out my windshield, and a loud “crack” of something hitting my car. Pull to the side of the road, get out with my bright Ray-O-Vac 6V lantern to have a look. Thought I might have hit an owl, the light reflecting off it’s outspread wings… Nope, no owl or any other animal evident. My car’s A pillar had a small indentation, about 1/3 inch deep, and about the size of my little finger. No sign of blood or tissue there or elsewhere on the car. This must have been the “crack” I heard. I wondered, “did someone shoot at me with a .22” ? No sign of any bullet residue. I spent quite a while examining the area but mostly the surrounding woods gave little reflection from my light. There were no houses, farms, or any other buildings for miles. Bizarre !

8 Likes

Several million years of evolution to get a flying turtle, undone in an instant by a damn Hyundai.

12 Likes

It’s turtles all the way down, and apparently all the way up as well.

:turtle: :cry:

11 Likes

7 Likes

And this is not a one time occurrence…

This one in Conway, AL? And the turtle got sent flying by a car in front of the guy, and this one did not survive, sadly.

12 Likes

I think we should just ban Mario Kart before someone gets hit by a dinosaur spinning out from a banana collision.

9 Likes

“It’s Aliens”
Ya, one of the things I considered was a meteorite, no evidence of that, either :slight_smile:

4 Likes

In a completely unrelated story, my beta testing on the turtle cannon is proceeding apace.

13 Likes

Or carapace, possibly?

11 Likes
4 Likes