Impatient Florida driver blasts through gate, jumps car over opening drawbridge

Originally published at: Impatient Florida driver blasts through gate, jumps car over opening drawbridge | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Somebody forgot to set the dvr to record Judge Judy.

9 Likes

Less impressive than doing it in a double-decker bus.

6 Likes

“Dukes of Hazzard” is not what i think of.

47 Likes

Well, the sun was KINDA in his/her eyes…

3 Likes

Not intentional driver hit their brakes while coming down. That would lead to losing control of the vehicle. Intentionally, you wait till you hit the over side and have control. Of course, it’s small hop. I was expecting something a bit more dramatic.

4 Likes

Me, too. If you ignore the social aspects of breaking the rules, the “jump” looks unimpressive to me. They hardly caught any air.

6 Likes

Someone tried to do this recently in Miami on a bicycle.

Spoiler: he died.

5 Likes

I can say pretty confidently that at no point in all the years I have been driving, have all four of my car’s tires been off the ground for any length of time.

9 Likes

The car has got a lot of pickup.

6 Likes

this is the pop culture reference with the correct take on klansmen

4 Likes

Was the cost of replacing that windshield worth it?

5 Likes

I was hoping he’d hit hard enough to destroy his suspension. Unfortunately, he didn’t hit hard enough. He did shatter his windshield in a very-identifiable manner, however.

2 Likes

Indeed. It’s probably been 20 years since I’ve seen it – way too long, I know – but it still holds up to modern tastes, right? I haven’t shown it to my kids yet.

2 Likes

I can say with 100% confidence that I have not had all four tires off the ground on a paved road in at least a decade.
Urban living make this more difficult than in my salad days, growing up in a maze of rural back roads among rednecks.
Before I had a driver’s license, I knew every backroad bump or steep hilltop drop within 15 miles of my house that could safely launch a car anywhere from a few inches to a couple feet in the air, and approximately what speed was needed. Older brothers of my friends, farmhands who worked for my Grampa–even my Dad–enjoyed a little thrill every now and then when the coast was clear.
Once I turned 16, I got behind the wheel to try many of these myself. No wrecks, no repairs, no citations.
That being said, I would not have the balls today to “jump” a drawbridge.

7 Likes

I hate to admit that I was kind’a rooting for him. I know, time out for Papasan. Again…

10 Likes

Live a little!

2 Likes

A local resident acquainted with the driver maintains that he is “just a good old boy, never meaning no harm.”

10 Likes

Depends on the conditions of the suspension system; if it’s in the typical ‘ignored/neglected until parts start falling off’ state that most people leave their vehicles in(*), then it might have taken some damage.

The busted windshield’s a dead giveaway, though.

(*) myself included; I finally changed the oil on the truck after ignoring it for over the last year. Yes, I’m a terrible monster. :heads off to get the 50 lashings with a wet noodle:

Once, many years ago, for me. Deserted B.C. mountain road. Even though I had my seatbelt on tight, big clobber on the top of my head from hitting the interior roof. Did not expect that. You’re right, if cars were intended to fly …

3 Likes