Impatient Florida driver blasts through gate, jumps car over opening drawbridge

yeah i can’t remember if there’s anything terribly problematic about it (it was 1980 so probably?) but it is a masterpiece and the music is fantastic.

3 Likes

I’ve played that level of Fall Guys.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen it in decades, either. The confederate battle flag is painted on the car, though, so you have to put up with that.

1 Like

That irresponsible person is lucky they were on the side that was going up faster. :-/

2 Likes

Fix the cigarette lighter.

5 Likes

There’s a set of railroad tracks on a raised berm on a very quiet side road near my old school that I used to reliably get all-4 off the ground going over. Wildly Stupid? You betcha. But I was in my 20’s and immortal.

3 Likes

Agree I was expecting a little different but that bridge is moving pretty quick. They made a commitment to jump it without full knowledge of exactly what they were committing to. A few car lengthens more and it could have gone from a 2-3 ft vertical jump to 10 ft?

3 Likes
5 Likes

And for those of us who’ve reached a certain age, it’s quite a glimpse back to that time frame as well. I’ll never forget in 1989, going to my new job, and looking east on Van Buren St. after getting off the train. It was precisely a view that could have been seen in the movie. Fast forward fifteen years, and just about nothing of it was left.

Back when I first got my driver’s license, suburban sprawl had yet to reach critical mass in my area. There was a long-abandoned rail line through the cornfields on a slight berm, and that wasn’t leveled off after the rails were left to rust. That was the local “Lovers’ Leap” for miles around. Now it’s a bike trail, and the berm was brought down to street level long ago.

Surprisingly, I don’t recall anyone wrecking there. I think that was because it was just steep enough to make you think twice about overdoing it.

click

He also cooly decided that right at the apex was the time to turn his headlights on in the fading light.

2 Likes

Oh, I miss that steep road up to my old neighborhood, with the incline interrupted by the level train tracks.

Now that you remind me, I’ll have to put the album on the record player again.

Came here to say this.

I watched it on Tuesday after a crappy day at work - just to decompress.

It’s still a joy.

Regarding all the stories of people jumping cars in their youth, challenge your memories on that, if you don’t have video of it from a direct side view. Any negative or zero G moment in a car “feels” like a jump, but suspension has a lot of droop in it. This is why it works. You have to get a lot higher off the ground than you think you do to actually get day light under the tires, which takes way more speed and ramp than most non-stunt drivers realize is required. In my experience with teenagers claiming to have done this, it’s never true. Not saying I disbelieve all the stories posted here, but it’s healthy to be skeptical of ones’ own memory. I have pushed cars harder than most (on video) and have only ever documented 2 wheels with daylight under them. This was in a race car that has a suspension that is bone-rattlingly tight so it takes less to get daylight under there.

4 Likes

But the 90’s weren’t about YouTube clicks or going viral, sometimes it was just about having fun and doing dumb shit in a semi-safe way.

Fortunately all my goofball d#ckhead indiscretions of this nature were only observed by like minded young goofball d#ckheads but everything you say is true…if you do get a car off the ground it’s likely to be damaged in some way. At least the stick and rudder cars of my youth, 1960s and 1970s . I lost the oil pan in my car, and the doors never closed the same. Friend who had a late 60’s Triumph sedan had the engine seize after doing it. Jumping a car is essentially a vertically oriented collision :slight_smile: There were abandoned roads where I grew up where my friends and I conducted these “experiments”, not public roads, although I don’t want to suggest there was or is anything responsible about this type of behaviour.

3 Likes