Flying turtle smashes through Georgia driver's windshield

Are we sure there wasn’t a eagle involved?

15 Likes

It is for the turtle.

15 Likes

when I lived in the West End neighbourhood in Vancouver a lot of the apartment buildings had large courtyards with ornamental boulders, sometimes concrete benches. Seagulls used to love these for cracking shellfish open. First time I saw it happen took me a while to figure out why an oyster would do that :slight_smile:

11 Likes

One time I saw a hawk carrying a snake over a road.

4 Likes

Just be happy it wasn’t a blue shell.

In Edmonton there are a lot of hares in town…when they first moved into town (about the time leash laws took hold) they didn’t understand traffic and would frequently make bad decisions. Now they pretty much have traffic figured out, but crows and ravens will sometimes harass them onto roads in front of cars to kill them

ElementaryFickleAlpinegoat-size_restricted

1 Like

I had one of those. It was called a Holden Torana over here. It had no cooling system at all so I imagine Canada was a better place for it.

4 Likes

Ya, well, no heating system to speak of, so not so Canada friendly But the “flow through” ventilation worked well, all year. I liked the handling and transmission though, the 1200 cc F head not so much. Later on I had the 2 litre OHC version, much better. I understand you could get the 3.5 litre V-8 in one of these in Australia, that would have been ‘interesting’ . By the way, “Torana” is how the Canadian city “Toronto” is pronounced

3 Likes

Not sure where Holden/GM got the Torana name.

The original 1.2/1.3 litre Torana was basically English. That was the one I had but there was a later, larger car which had the same name and that one came with a larger engine, probably with the 3.8 litre option.

The cylinder head in my car was horrible with these tappets supported by springs. They would regularly pop off, flying around under the tappet cover.

2 Likes

That mode of death was actually used in one of the CSI: Las Vegas episodes!

1 Like

ya, like most of the cars I had in that period, I spent a lot of time adjusting/repairing valvetrains. Something to do with over revving, my dad used to speculate :slight_smile: That engine was so down on power; there was one hill on my way home I had to hit the bottom flat out, then progressively downshift 4-3-2-1 by the time I got to the top (and it was only a block long). And I had to double clutch because the synchros were a bit iffy…

2 Likes

Back in the day, the local vernacular for them, here in Australia, was the “horrie torrie”[1], particularly after Mad Max[2] used them as pursuit cars.

[1] Horrible Torana
[2] released as Road Warrior in the US I believe

1 Like

I saw it as Mad Max in Canada… back when it came out, the group of people I used to hang with included a Gerry Todd type guy who would always bring a VHS tape of Mad Max to parties. Must have seen it 15 times, with enthusiastic narration

1 Like

And that’s how you founded Mexico City?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.