A children's book recipe for "No-Bake Spice Cookies," inspired by David Lynch's DUNE

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/19/a-childrens-book-recipe-for.html

5 Likes

The spice cookies must flow.

12 Likes

He who controls the cookies controls the universe.

13 Likes

When God ordains a man’s time to make cookies, he sends him the correct recipe.

8 Likes

I’m gratified to see the recipe does not require water.

20 Likes

Prednisone, cinnamon, and coconut. I’m on my way to becoming a Guild Navigator!

15 Likes

But where do we get the sandworms to process the spice?

It’s been too long since I read the books to remember details.

1 Like

You’d think that on Arrakis of all places, baking something wouldn’t be a problem.

6 Likes

I can attest that I freakin’ LOVED that movie when I first saw it as a child, and although I didn’t have the activity or coloring books, I had various spice harvester toys, a sandworm, and a Paul Atreides action figure that would punch when you pressed his shield generator button. Damn shame they all went in a yard sale before a move.

8 Likes

I just reread book 1 - they repeatedly say that spice smells like cinnamon (I am not a fan of cinnamon) now if it smelled like nutmeg… count me in!

7 Likes

I wanted for the longest time to try and make my own Spice blend, to season things. wasn’t sure exactly what I’d put in it apart from cinnamon, but I figured the experimenting would be half the fun. never got around to doing it, though.

4 Likes

Cookie Monster?
That looks like the face of a cookie spice addict!

7 Likes

Minus the cinnamon, this is my family’s xmas cookie recipe.

makes suspicious face at Grandma

2 Likes

cinnamon comes from the bark of trees ergo is the spice’ on arrakis a kind of ancient thing like charcoal from when it was once a wet planet?

2 Likes

My adult no-bake recipe has two steps - buy Sweetzels or Ivins, and then put your hand in the box :cookie: :yum::

Do Guild Navigators also use Benadryl or generic equivalents?

Hoping your reaction wrt glucocorticoids is tapering off.

Yeah no kidding!

I have this. I use this. It works. And it doesn’t make the house hot because the sun is outside shining on it. It gets ferociously hot.

4 Likes

Original pumpkin spice, eh? “Pumpkin spice” is just a version of gingerbread spices which go back to the middle ages as a spice mix for both savoury and sweet things. Nothing"original" about that.

1 Like

I think the author was just trying to make it seem trendy/relatable to people who like products labeled as “pumpkin spice.” I’m not a good judge of whether or not the cookies are like those products, because I don’t eat or drink anything labeled as pumpkin - never liked the taste of it. Those cookies were a staple of my childhood*, but you couldn’t pay me to eat a piece of pumpkin pie.

*OK, I still devour a box every year around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

1 Like

It’s made constantly by sand trout, deep in the sand.

2 Likes

Just FYI: pumpkin spice doesn’t contain any pumpkin, it’s the spice FOR pumpkin not the spice MADE OF pumpkin. So you might actually enjoy it? But as I said it’s just gingerbread spices, really, reinvented by corporate America.

1 Like